At Smith & Williamson we recruit high calibre people with the skills, knowledge and commitment to meet the demands of the business. The one year placement is a structured training programme combining practical experience with numerous opportunities to increase your skill set. You’ll be getting involved in the same sort of work as our trainees, which could mean attending meetings with partners, visiting clients, getting involved in research and everything in between. It’s a great opportunity for us to see if you have what it takes to become one of our future business advisors.
What will I be doing?
Many businesses need to reassure investors and other stakeholders on their financial performance, even where a full audit isn’t necessary, appropriate, or required by law. We provide wide-reaching financial advisory services to international clients across a number of industries and a diverse client base, ranging from small businesses and family enterprise start-ups to non-profit organisations.
As part of our Assurance & Business Services team you could be working directly with managing and financial directors, checking that numbers stack up with fact. This means providing advice and solutions that really make a difference.
You'll also build valuable client experience, developing the knowledge and skills needed to be an effective auditor and trusted business adviser.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Work as part of a team to undertake a variety of audit and accountancy tasks
- Develop an understanding of our client’s and their businesses
- Understand from your manager the scope of tasks allocated and objectives to be achieved
- Keep seniors and managers fully informed of any issues and problems, ensure work is completed to a level agreed with the manager and record clearly and concisely work done
- Become familiar with our audit and accounting software
- Resolve queries whether of an audit or accountancy nature
- Prioritising tasks whilst monitoring time against budget
- Support more qualified staff on more complex client situations
- Assist with admin support as and when required
To be successful in this role you will:
- Be proficient in Excel and have interest to learn new applications
- Have a high level of attention to detail
- Know how to deal with problems that arise, knowing when to involve the others, ability to think ahead and anticipate events
- Have the ability to prioritise work and meet deadlines
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing
- Be able to build and maintain good relationships with clients
- Have the ability to work in small teams and develop a good relationship with all partners
- Have a high level of general commercial awareness
- Open to penultimate year University students
- Must be on course for at least a predicted 2:1 honours degree in any discipline
- 112 UCAS points (or equivalent) in your top three A-levels (excluding General Studies)
- GCSE English Language and Maths (or equivalent) at a minimum of grade 5
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!