At Smith & Williamson we recruit high calibre people with the skills, knowledge and commitment to meet the demands of the business. Our trainee schemes are structured training programmes combining practical experience with technical studies, as well as providing numerous opportunities to increase your skill set with internal courses ranging from personal impact and negotiation skills to time management to delivering presentations.
What will I be doing?
Many businesses need to reassure investors and other stakeholders on their financial performance, even where a full audit isn’t necessary, appropriate, or required by law. We provide wide-reaching financial advisory services to international clients across a number of industries and a diverse client base, ranging from small businesses and family enterprise start-ups to non-profit organisations.
As part of our Assurance & Business Services team you could be working directly with managing and financial directors, checking that numbers stack up with fact. This means providing advice and solutions that really make a difference.
You'll also build valuable client experience, developing the knowledge and skills needed to be an effective auditor and trusted business adviser. Alongside your work, you'll receive first-class professional training as you study for the Associate Chartered Accountant (ACA) qualification, which will enable you to gain a full understanding of the technical aspects of audit and accountancy and additional financial advisory services.
Responsibilities of the Trainee Chartered Accountant position could include:
- Work as part of a team to undertake a variety of audit and accountancy tasks
- Develop an understanding of our client’s and their businesses
- Understand from your manager the scope of tasks allocated and objectives to be achieved
- Keep seniors and managers fully informed of any issues and problems, ensure work is completed to a level agreed with the manager and record clearly and concisely work done
- Become familiar with our audit and accounting software
- Resolve queries whether of an audit or accountancy nature
- Prioritising tasks whilst monitoring time against budget
What training and development will I receive in my first few years?
Progression within this team is fast, with responsibility from an early stage. By the second year you'll be taking on a more senior role with smaller clients and helping to supervise the new intake of trainees and as your experience grows, you may have opportunities to experience other assignments such as control reviews and due diligence projects.
Additionally, you will achieve the Level 7 Apprenticeship qualification, developing essential skills sought out in the professional services sector.
To be successful in this role you will:
- Be committed and motivated to studying towards the Associate Chartered Accountant (ACA) qualification
- Be able to deliver first class client service and work effectively as part of a team
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing
- Have a high level of general commercial awareness
- Must have or be on course for at least a 2:1 honours degree in any discipline
- 112 UCAS points (or equivalent) in your top three A-levels (excluding General Studies)
- GCSE English Language and Maths (or equivalent) at a minimum of grade 5
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!