The Integrated Data Service team is building an ambitious new platform providing secure access to 5 star linked data across Government.
We are a growing area of multidisciplinary teams of frontend, backend, and full stack engineers, interaction designers, user researchers, tech leads and product and delivery managers. Across all teams we work in a DevOps manner, and expect developers to be involved in the deployment and support of solutions they have built.
As a Backend Engineer, you will be responsible for all technical aspects of APIs and data pipelines, including design, development, security, maintenance, platform provisioning and operations.
You will work collaboratively with members of the team to ensure your skills are relevant, up to date, transferrable and in line with industry standards and expectations. Once you are familiar with our technologies and platform stack you may be asked to provide out of hours support.
We work in an inclusive environment and want all members of our team to feel they can contribute ideas to how we approach challenges and design solutions. We value a willingness to accept new ideas and be questioned on our own preconceptions.
We use the following technologies right now, but an interest in solving the problems we face is much more important than having experience in the technologies listed.
• Python / Scala
• RDF / Graph Databases
• Docker / Kubernetes
• Jenkins / GitHub Actions
We know that no two people will have the same experience, and that everyone's training needs will be different. We anticipate the first few months you are with our team will be a combination of learning our technologies, getting to know your team, and mutually learning how each other work best. We provide training and guidance on the technologies we use, and the team will support you as you get to grips with how we work.
Things you might do in the next 12 months:
• Design, build and maintain public and private RESTful APIs to meet the needs of all our users.
• Design, build and maintain event-driven data processing pipelines.
• Develop and maintain infrastructure provisioning for the platform upon which your distributed applications run.
• Implement tests and continuous integration pipelines for the microservice applications that you build.
• Identify security risks and technical debt which affect the products we build, working with the rest of the team to design and implement improvements.
• Contributing your own ideas and viewpoints in technical planning, design, and code reviews.
• Use protected learning time to explore topics that are of interest to you and invest in projects you care about.
• Investigate and evaluate technologies to identify the best tool for the job.
• Respond to live issues and perform maintenance of the live service.
Newport, South WalesDarlington, county DurhamFareham, HampshireLondon
Preferred Degree Subjects
Computer Science and IT