Centrica is a leading energy, services, and solutions company. We keep millions of homes and businesses running and work hard to support the changing needs of our customers and help them transition to a lower carbon future. Join us on our Graduate programme and you can discover what it would be like to work at the heart of our business, helping to shape our strategy for the future.
- You’ll receive a £31,000 starting salary, plus £3,000 joining bonus
- You’ll receive multi-layered support from a wide range of senior business leaders and fellow Graduates
- You will become certified and experienced in more than one technical discipline
- As part of a rotational programme, you will be working in different teams, each with their own “start-up” culture into which you will be welcomed and expected to contribute
- You’ll join an organisation focused on Diversity & Inclusion
Set yourself on the path to be a Software Engineer, creating solutions for the leading energy, services, and solutions company.
- Experience working within a large multi-national corporate organisation
- Be creative! Work within an engineering function to develop innovative solutions to leverage real-world opportunities
- Explore new opportunities to unlock the value in our data
- Use cutting-edge artificial intelligence and machine learning techniques
- Elicit and assess ideas in a collaborative environment
- Develop stakeholder management and emotional intelligence skills
- Use agile approaches to solution delivery
- Personal and group projects – work on your own and as part of a team
Diversity & inclusion is at the heart of Centrica's recruitment policy
At Centrica, we want to attract a broad range of talent which reflects our customers in all their diversity. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religions and/or beliefs. To read more about our commitment to Diversity and Inclusion, please see Our Culture page.
Who we're looking for:
We believe the best software is developed by our own people, if you have the drive for it. You must have a passion for collaboration, a continuous improvement mindset, customer focus, and above all a love of technology. We are looking for Graduates who have experience of software development, who want to help develop and shape the digital solutions for our British Gas (Centrica) Brands. You’ll also need:
- Minimum 2:1 degree in a STEM subject (2:2 if combined with a Master’s)
- Willingness to relocate and try new things
- Initiative and problem-solving skills
- An understanding of Agile practices and methods to deliver value for our customers
- Right to work in the UK
What the programme involves
Immerse yourself in the world of Centrica, IT, and you will become part of our growing team of Software Engineers spanning a range of disciplines including; Software Development, Data Engineering, Data Science, Cloud Platform Engineering, Digital Product Engineering, Network Engineering, and Information/Cyber Security. You will work on projects as part of Scrum, SRE (Site Reliability Engineering), and DevOps teams delivering real solutions that improve the customer experience and productivity. You will be expected to learn and develop with software that is new to you, and you will have the opportunity to gain certifications in a range of technologies such as Amazon AWS, Microsoft, and Salesforce.
Expect to be pushed out of your comfort zone and be problem-solving from day one. You will be given the opportunity to pitch and demonstrate your solutions to Senior Management at various times on the programme.
You will be supported by our network of technical experts and our software partners who will enable your technical and behavioural skills development.
Your placements will be evenly split across three different technology areas, each one supporting a key area of our business, such as our British Gas, Hive, and Evolve brands.
You will be given the opportunity to build solutions by working within one of our teams that use:
- Web development to build digital products for our customers
- Core application development to build functionality into our customer and billing systems
- Data engineering, data science, and machine learning to provide intelligent capabilities
- Cloud platform/network engineering to build flexible and scalable solution environments
- Information/cyber security technology to ensure our environments are safe and secure
Whichever placement you are on, you’ll be delivering significant software and data changes and driving business results.
You will spend some of your time learning how our new breed of contact centres, engineering academies, and trading desks work, and use the software that our agents and engineers use, serving customers as part of a team. You will also experience what it takes to be on our frontline, supporting our millions of energy and services customers. This experience should help you build the best software, always customer, agent, and engineer focused.
There is plenty of support offered to the Graduates joining our programme. You will have a Graduate buddy, a mentor within the senior engineer community and a Graduate Talent Manager who’ll be on hand to support in your development during the programme.
Being part of the Centrica Graduate community means there are so many opportunities you can get involved with outside of your role. You can take part in charity challenges, mentoring schemes and we also have 5 employee networks which you can join to meet new people and support our agenda of becoming the most inclusive company.
Please note: we may have to bring the deadline for applying for this programme forward due to its popularity, so we encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.