Student Placement - Communications and Policy Assistant
Who we are…?
For more than a century, our organisation has been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our organisation continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
We are officially certified by the Top Employer Institute and been awarded the exclusive Top Employer United Kingdom Certification for the fourth year running.
Our Animal Health division is a trusted global leader in veterinary medicine, dedicated to the health and well-being of animals. We are a global team of professionals working together to make a positive difference in animal care and the world’s food supply and have a deep sense of responsibility towards our customers, consumers, animals, society and our planet. We offer one of our industry’s most innovative portfolio of products, services and technologies that serve to prevent, treat, and control diseases across all major farm and companion animal species.
Our communications and policy team provides strategic and tactical communications and policy leadership and support to our UK Animal Health business. We are responsible for corporate internal and external communications, corporate social media and corporate policy and government relations. Our work is focused on engaging with a wide range of stakeholders and audiences from politicians and government officials, to policy influencers and the media, through to our UK employees.
This role would suit a candidate who thrives on working in a fast-paced environment, enjoys working as a team player and who is interested in developing a career in communications and policy. You will gain experience and insight into a broad range of communication disciplines and projects, as well as learn how a large matrixed pharmaceutical and healthcare company operates. You will be given opportunities to be part of key specialist or project teams as well as the opportunity to lead and deliver on your own initiatives. The experience will therefore provide a blend of project leadership, tactical implementation and professional and personal learning opportunities.
These are just some examples of activities or initiatives you could get involved with during your time with our communications and policy team:
- Development of creative and impactful communication materials
- Devising and implementing internal communications campaigns
- Management of internal communications channels
- Maintaining and updating the our organisation’s Animal Health websites
- Supporting management of our corporate social media accounts
- Media monitoring and reporting for the business for key products, campaigns or issues
- Supporting the team in providing political and policy counsel across the business
- Supporting in the development of external and internal briefing materials
- Working with and managing external agencies
- Providing general day-to-day and administrative support to the team, including event management, managing subscriptions, etc
This is an office based role with some anticipated travel to national events and meetings.
- You will be looking to complete a 12-month placement in your third or penultimate year of study, returning to your course at the end of the placement
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrates proficiency in project management, organisation and administration
- Numerate with good analytical skills
Qualities we look for
- Operates with a high level of integrity, transparency and accountability
- Aligns and fosters a culture of diversity and inclusivity
- Demonstrates initiative, proactivity and academic curiosity
- Encourages and boosts their colleagues through teamwork
- Demonstrates clear and effective communication
- Demonstrates a desire to learn and improve their performance through feedback
- Has a can-do attitude, anticipates problems and proposes solutions, approaches work challenges creatively with fresh ideas
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency
- Willing to get involved in a fast-moving environment, often interacting with senior leaders