Student Placement - Computational Chemistry & Molecular Modelling
We are establishing a new state-of-the-art life early science & innovation sciences research facility in London. With a mission of turning breakthrough science into meaningful and impactful medicines, the research focus is in cellular ageing and mechanisms of homeostasis and resilience, the basis of some of the most challenging diseases facing our ageing population.
Who we are…?
For more than a century, our organisation has been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our organisation continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
We are officially certified by the Top Employer Institute and been awarded the exclusive Top Employer United Kingdom Certification for the fourth year running.
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we follow the science, we can deliver great medicines. We believe that a research-driven enterprise, dedicated to world-class science, can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
This is an opportunity to join our computational chemistry team as a placement student, working with the medicinal chemists and pharmacologists located in the Francis Crick Research Institute in London, and help build a strong foundation for success in your future scientific career.
The London-based facility combines our leading drug discovery capabilities and world-class research and development expertise with the best of the regions’ talent, and has a mission of turning breakthrough science into meaningful and impactful medicines.
We are looking for enthusiastic students who are interested in a career in computational chemistry and a desire to apply computational techniques to support the discovery of future drugs.
You will be required to apply computational techniques to solve chemistry problems. This will involve application of expert tools as well as some coding (primarily in python). Ability to work independently is essential, and training and mentoring will be provided by senior computational chemists.
Communication and collaboration are key requirements, and curiosity about new techniques, approaches, and scientific discovery. Maintaining our high standards, ethics and safety are crucial.
During the placement you will contribute to defined computational chemistry projects, supporting drug discovery and novel research, as well as experience the research environment of a large global pharmaceutical company.
- You will be looking to complete a 12-month placement in your third or penultimate year of study, returning to your course at the end of the placement
- Studying a Chemistry related discipline (or equivalent qualification)
- Strong preference or interest in computational chemistry techniques
- Passion for scientific discovery
- Experience in coding (python in particular) is desirable but not essential
Qualities we look for
- Operates with a high level of integrity, transparency and accountability
- Comprehends and aligns with our organization’s core values
- Aligns and fosters a culture of diversity and inclusivity
- Demonstrates initiative, proactivity and academic curiosity
- Encourages and boosts their colleagues through teamwork
- Demonstrates clear and effective communication
- Demonstrates a desire to learn and improve their performance through feedback