We are establishing a new state-of-the-art research facility in London. With a mission of turning breakthrough science into meaningful and impactful medicines, the research focus is in cellular ageing and mechanisms of homeostasis and resilience, the basis of some of the most challenging diseases facing our ageing population.
Who we are…?
For more than a century, our organisation has been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our organisation continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
We are officially certified by the Top Employer Institute and been awarded the exclusive Top Employer United Kingdom Certification for the fourth year running.
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we follow the science, we can deliver great medicines. We believe that a research-driven enterprise, dedicated to world-class science, can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
This is an opportunity to join our talented and dedicated chemistry team, located in the Francis Crick Research Institute in London, as a placement student and help build a strong foundation for success in your future scientific career.
The London-based facility combines our leading drug discovery capabilities and world-class research and development expertise with the best of the regions’ talent and has a mission of turning breakthrough science into meaningful and impactful medicines.
We are looking for enthusiastic students who will potentially pursue a career in chemistry and are interested in cutting-edge technology to design and synthesize drugs of the future.
Focus on Results
- Become competent in the use of standard and advanced laboratory equipment
- Under guidance, synthesize compounds that will allow project teams to make key decisions and advance projects
Communication and Collaboration
- Ask questions, having a placement is about learning
- Present results and ideas in writing, and in meetings as verbal updates and presentations
Maintaining our organisation’s high standards of ethics and safety:
- Keep up to date records of experiments in an electronic notebook
- Comply with our organisation’s laboratory safety rules and philosophy
- As part of your duties within the team you will get the opportunity to gain experience in the following drug discovery activities:
- Design of compounds to modulate biological targets
- Synthesis of compounds for biological profiling
- Application of molecular modelling techniques in molecular design
- You will be looking to complete a 12-month placement in your third or penultimate year of study, returning to your course at the end of the placement
- Studying a chemistry discipline
- Strong preference/interest in organic synthesis
- Passion for scientific discovery
- Practical laboratory experience desirable but not essential
Qualities we look for
- Operates with a high level of integrity, transparency and accountability
- Comprehends and aligns with our organization’s core values
- Aligns and fosters a culture of diversity and inclusivity
- Demonstrates initiative, proactivity and academic curiosity
- Encourages and boosts their colleagues through teamwork
- Demonstrates clear and effective communication
- Demonstrates a desire to learn and improve their performance through feedback