£20,000 - £25,000
What you’ll get?
Salaries for our industrial placements start from £22,000. You'll also get lots of other benefits like product and service discounts and generous time off.
What you’ll do
Do you want to work on the largest warship ever in service with the Royal Navy, or a warship which has been upgraded and is considered one of the most advanced in the world? Do you want to challenge yourself to make a real difference and manage to work on complex systems your friends wouldn’t even understand?
As an Undergraduate Systems Engineer you will learn and develop skills associated with the principles of systems engineering that can be applied across the entire engineering development lifecycle from requirement definition to system integration and acceptance into system support.
Under supervision of our Senior Engineers you will apply growing systems engineering knowledge and skills to requirements elicitation, design, development, performance assessment, integration, acceptance and support, to resolve engineering issues for defined scenarios relating to the development and acceptance of products.
We also provide the opportunity to get involved in projects outside of your primary remit. We encourage you to seek a stretch project in which you’ll gain different experiences. With our huge portfolio of products and our multinational presence, there are opportunities to get involved in something different around every corner. Additionally, we encourage involvement in community projects, STEM initiatives and support groups (called employee resource groups) which all provide valuable learning and development experiences that you may not have access to in your day-to-day role. To ensure we retain our talented people, we offer a blend of sponsorship, additional support in career development planning and a portfolio of high potential development programmes. We are also fully committed to supporting graduates to work towards professional registration and Chartership with a range of professional institutes (e.g. the IET and IMechE). Our graduate scheme is accredited with a number of different professional institutes, which means that we have demonstrated high standards of delivery and support.
Our mission is to build a strong, diverse, adaptable, and high performing work force that will develop and grow our future business. We believe that everyone has talent, and at the heart of our talent management approach our ambition is to be recognised as the UK’s top employer in the defence and security sector for valuing diversity and inclusion. Accelerated development will be offered to those who have the aspiration, ability, and performance to fulfil roles that are critical to our future success. Using The Future Talent Programme, we select high potential graduates and provide them with further tailored development opportunities.
Specific activities could include:
- Work across a range of products and services, resolving common engineering problems while working under close technical supervision as part of a system design team
- With direction, discern and decompose requirements to system and sub-system level and manage these in an approved toolset
- With direction, undertake system design and modelling to subsystem level using approved toolsets
- With direction, undertake the specification and design of external and internal system interfaces
- Assist with definition and execution of system integration and testing
- Support senior engineers in the definition of acceptance strategies used to verify requirement compliance at different levels of system design & support production of acceptance evidence
- Assist with technical reviews of engineering technical documentation and design in accordance with business, legislative and customer requirements
What’s in it for you?
- The chance to create next-generation security products and technology.
- An immersive induction experience which will prepare you for entering your real-world role.
- Access to established graduate and undergraduate communities. You’ll also have a dedicated graduate buddy and manager to support you during the whole placement.
- Throughout your placement, you’ll receive performance and development feedback and have the opportunity to access a range of development courses through our online learning platforms.
- A conditional offer to join us as on a graduate programme without the need to reapply, subject to performance and availability.
Our one-year programme will give you the chance to get hands-on industry experience and a deep insight into life at BAE Systems.
£20,000 - £25,000
Portsmouth Naval Base (Hampshire)