Graduate (Junior) Back End Developer
My client is an innovative software company that powers publishing and engagement platforms for media brands around the world. Their platforms power hundreds of apps for the likes of The Economist, IBM, Conde Nast and News Corporation to Hearst, Net a Porter, to name a few.
They believe the best way for businesses to engage with their users is through branded apps. They have developed products and solutions that makes it really easy for anyone to make an app and publish content to it.
They have created both mobile engagement and mobile publishing platforms. Their mobile engagement platform has revolutionised the way businesses engage with their audience on mobile. It allows the business they work with to curate a user experience from a selection of interactive elements, from articles, video and podcasts, to curated social media posts, to polls, events and so much more.
Their mobile publishing platform is the fastest, most flexible publishing platform on the planet. They can get content out there with minimal editorial effort and maximum impact and are able to launch branded mobile content apps in just a few days.
Whether it’s publishing news, consumer magazines, specialist information, trade press or membership publications they have a solution.
They are now looking to grow their team of developers and are looking for two junior back end developers to join the business. The work is varied and differs from project to project.
Working as a back-end developer will involve:
- Helping to extend their authoring service, which is based on WordPress
- Supporting and adding new features to their Distribution platform
- Creating bespoke CMS features for our customers
- Writing neat, testable, efficient code
- Working closely with other teams across the business, front-end and app developers, QA, product team and project managers to complete projects
- Debugging / fixing / communicating support requests from clients
To be considered for this role you will need to have
- Computer Science, Software Engineering or related bachelors or master’s degree with a minimum of 2.1 achieved
- Experience with PHP, both functional and OOP (minimum 6 months either gained through projects, internships or work experience)
- Knowledge of Laravel or similar frameworks
- Proficiency in WordPress (including custom themes and plugins)
- 1 years’ minimum working in industry or similar
- The ability to juggle tasks! They do many things at once - it's a fast-paced environment
- Proven ability to get things done and to work and learn independently
- Clear and effective written and verbal communication
- Excellent analytical skills
It would also be advantageous to have some of this:
- Experience with AWS (RDS, S3, SQS, Lambda, EC2, Route 53 etc)
- Experience with source control tools such as Git, BitBucket and CI
- Knowledge of CDNs
- Any Dev Ops experience or setting up servers and SSH
- Experience integrating with REST/SOAP APIs
- Some understanding of front-end technologies (SASS, CSS, JS, React, Vue)
- Some understanding of native development (X-code, Android Studio)
- Experience working in an agile environment, working in short sprint timeframes and ticket-based work (Jira).
- Keen interest in new technologies
- A portfolio site / example work (GitHub or similar)
What’s in it for you?
- Competitive salary
- A very sociable company - especially on a Summer Friday when they finish at 2pm
- An annual training budget to attend conferences or training of your choice
- The company is casual and has no dress code
- You’ll have an annual bonus which is based half on company performance and half on personal performance
- An impressive and interesting client base