At Mazars we'll help you build on your expertise, experience and ambition to develop a rewarding and successful career. We want you to be yourself, to bring your ideas and creativity and to feel inspired as part of our national tax team.
We provide bespoke advice in all areas of taxation, helping our clients to navigate the complexities of tax codes, often in multiple jurisdictions, and to help them ensure they are fulfilling all their obligations and paying the correct amount of tax. In this way we help them to manage an area of significant financial and reputational risk and to make properly informed decisions about their tax position whether they are an individual, a business owner or a corporate organisation. We also help clients resolve any disputes they have with the tax authorities as swiftly as possible.
We cover every aspect of taxation for clients, whether on employment, corporate profits or gains, movements of individuals or businesses from one country to another, international transactions or on personal income, gains or wealth.
An introduction to our Indirect Tax team:
Mazars helps businesses plan for VAT before setting out on a new venture including setting up overseas, buying or selling a property or raising finances. Our experienced team addresses compliance issues proactively to help clients avoid penalties, as well as the impact of transactions on other areas of the business like audit and direct tax.
We are moving to a new hybrid working model, so as a trainee you will split your time between working from home, visiting the office, client sites when required or studying for your professional exams.
You will be supporting the team on the delivery of high quality compliance and advisory VAT services to clients. You will work with a broad range of clients, covering several sectors – including multinational businesses, international and UK listed and private companies, central and local government, not for profit organisations and financial institutions.
During your first two years you will:
- Support with the provision of high quality VAT compliance on a portfolio of clients;
- Support the senior VAT Team by researching VAT technical questions, plus background information and useful publications;
- Assist the senior team members to develop the business and to seek new fee-earning opportunities within the Mazars client base and externally;
- Support the VAT Team with preparation of VAT return calculations;
- Be involved in written and verbal communications with HMRC;
- Communicate with the VAT Team on any issues or findings; and
- Develop and apply technical knowledge gained from studies and on the job experience.
By the end of your final year you will:
- Aid with the management of a portfolio of clients, including acting as one of the main points of contact for the clients and liaising with other advisors;
- Develop the VAT service offering by using advisory skills in assisting on a wide range of projects and sectors;
- Assist the Manager to develop the business and to seek new opportunities both within Mazars and externally;
- Support senior management on VAT planning and other ad hoc projects;
- Advise clients and partners about VAT, including changes to legislation and practice;
- Manage the successful delivery of VAT projects, ensuring technical excellence and practical/business driven approach is taken;
- Liaise and negotiate with HMRC on behalf of clients;
- Proactively manage existing clients to identify and win new work assignments; and
- Build and maintain strong relationships with clients and provide high levels of client service.
- Interpersonal skills; the ability to build client relationships with a foundation of trust and responsibility.
- Analytical skills; the ability to think critically, research and solve problems.
- Attention to detail and strong time-management skills.
- Commitment to self-development & learning.
- Affinity with our values; in particular, respect for individuals, diversity and integrity.
- Teamwork; the ability to function and contribute effectively as part of a high achieving team.
Strong academic performance is important so we know that you're ready to take your professional exams . However, we understand things don't always go to plan – so if you don't meet our minimum requirements, please let us know if you have any exceptional achievements or extenuating circumstances which affected your results. We also consider your achievements in the context of your socio-economic background, so encourage you to submit your contextual information.
- On track to achieve or have obtained a 2.1 or above in any degree discipline
- Minimum of 112 UCAS points. This is based on the new 2017 UCAS Tariff. You can calculate your UCAS points here.
- Grade B or above in GCSE English Language and Maths.
We will fund your study towards the combined ATT/CTA qualification.
You will receive a full study package to ensure that you successfully complete your professional qualification. This includes time off to study, attend college and complete online courses. Your professional qualification is only part of the story at Mazars; we support all our trainees with a blended approach to training and development including classroom study, 1:1 coaching, and soft skills training.