STFC Technology is the leading provider of electronic and microelectronic systems for many high-profile international projects. Our systems can be found throughout the world and range from single ASICs to large systems that use tens of thousands of custom ICs and hundreds of multi-million gate FPGAs.
Summary of Key Duties & Responsibilities
Our leading facilities and varied projects will provide you with unique and challenging career opportunities. If you are an enthusiastic electronic, microelectronic or nanoelectronic engineer then we would be interested in you joining our team. Opportunities include:
- Analogue and digital ASIC design using the latest IC technologies.
- Design of complex digital systems using embedded microprocessors and FPGAs.
- Application engineering & consultancy for the latest electronic design tools and flows.
- Design of advanced CMOS Image Sensors using state-of-art microelectronics technologies.
Our Graduate Engineers are offered permanent contracts and will work on real projects from day one. You will be given a wide variety of training in both technical and personal skills and supported to develop and achieve your full potential. You will be part of both the STFC Graduate Scheme and our IET accredited Professional Development Scheme and actively encouraged in achieving Chartered Engineer status
Personal Skills and Attributes
You should be interested in a technical career as an engineer, have good awareness of basic electronic principles and how these apply to modern circuit design. A good honours degree in a relevant subject, which meets the IET’s requirements for CEng, is essential.
You must be self-motivated and dedicated to understanding the continuously evolving design tools and methods. You will be supported by experienced colleagues, and a mentor, but will be expected to be able to act on your own initiative and be able to demonstrate a systematic and analytical approach to problem solving.
You will be reliable and flexible with good interpersonal skills and the ability to integrate and work effectively within the existing close-knit team. Good written and verbal communication skills (in English) and the ability to communicate effectively with colleagues, project partners and customers is essential.
We recruit on a rolling basis therefore we recommend you to apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. Applications will be reviewed and considered on an ongoing basis until our roles are filled.
In order to apply for this role you must have:
- Obtained your first degree bachelors or Masters, (not doctorate) in a relevant subject in either 2019, 2020 or be due to receive it in 2021
- Expected or have achieved a 2:1 or above
- The right to live and work in the UK
- Obtained first degree bachelors or Masters, (not doctorate) in a relevant subject in either 2019, 2020 or be due to receive it in 2021
- Expected or have achieved a 2:1 or above in a relevant discipline (eg Electrical and Electronic Engineering or other subjects with significant electronics content). Equivalent qualifications also acceptable. Degree(s) must meet IET educational requirements for CEng.
- The right to live and work in the UK
- Minimum of three A-levels at grade C or above one of which must be mathematics, or alternative qualifications, (e.g. BTEC / international examinations) of an equivalent level
- Degree content (and projects) that are relevant to the posts available
- Clear, comprehensive, credible and coherent application
- Good written communication skills (in English)
- Aptitude for problem solving and diagnosis of challenging problems
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and influence people effectively at all levels with internal and external colleagues and customers. Good verbal communication skills (in English)
- Conscientious, reliable, hardworking and flexible
- Dedication to maintaining relevant technical knowledge and committed to Continuing Professional Development
- Demonstrate good team working capabilities
- Genuine interest in electronics, microelectronics or image sensor design
- Ability to use unmodified computing equipment and complex design tool packages for extended periods of time
- Ability to integrate and work effectively within the existing team based environment at STFC - RAL
- IET membership
- Relevant industrial experience or directly relevant university project
- Ability to travel within UK, Europe and US as required
The Science and Technology Facilities Council is a world-leading multi-disciplinary science organisation where curiosity-driven, blue-skies thinking meets practical, application-led science and engineering. Our goal is to deliver economic, societal, scientific and international benefits to the UK and its people – and more broadly to the world.
One of Europe’s largest research organisations, we’re trusted to support, enable and undertake cutting-edge projects in an amazing diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science, engineering, computing and technology. Our research seeks to understand the Universe from the largest astronomical scales to the tiniest constituents of matter, yet creates impact on a very tangible, human scale.
How to Apply
Online applications only for this role. Please submit your CV and a covering letter which clearly outlines how you fulfil the criteria specified along with your motivation for STFC and the role you’re applying for. Ensure that the job reference number is included in the filename description of each document uploaded. Note that failure to address the above criteria or submit your application without a covering letter may result in your application not being considered.
UK Research and Innovation brings together nine organisations to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, and a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation. More information can be found at www.ukri.org.
- Organisation: Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)
- Contract Type: Open Ended
- External Closing Date: Oct 30, 2020
- Minimum Salary: Pound Sterling (GBP) 27,390
- Hours: Full-time
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!