Please be aware that there is also a Communications and Digital Content Industrial Placement based at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Oxfordshire. To be considered for this role, please also apply for IRC251173 Communications and Digital Content Industrial Placement – RAL Oxfordshire.
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest research organisations. We’re trusted to support, enable and undertake pioneering projects in an amazing diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science, technology and Engineering.
STFC is one of nine organisations that have been brought together to create UK Research and Innovation (UKRI); a new organisation with a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
Each year we offer opportunities to undergraduate students to gain practical experience, working alongside technical experts at the forefront of scientific research. We offer an invaluable experience with exposure to world-class science and technology, and the opportunity to develop working relationships that continue well after your placement has finished.
STFC consists of several distinct departments which each focus on a different specialism within science, technology, innovation and support, yet work together to achieve STFC’s grand ambitions. Different departments may look for placement students with similar skills, so you should consider which role/s are most suitable to you, and apply for up to two of these. See all of our current Industrial Placements here.
This position will be based in the Communications group enabling the student to gain experience in both external and internal communications. The External Communications team is responsible for promoting the impact of STFC facilities, grant funded research programmes, international partnerships, and knowledge exchange and economic impact. It is also responsible for managing STFC’s reputation and fulfilling requirements set out by government including publishing an annual report. The team use a variety of platforms both digital and hard copy to engage with all of STFC’s audiences. The Internal Communications team is responsible for disseminating information to staff across the wider STFC facilities.
Summary of Key Duties & Responsibilities
- To provide general communications assistance to external communications, including support to the media team,public and stakeholder engagement, web, internal communications and communications planning.
- Responsible for producing digital materials for use across a range of platforms, including video, photography and audio files
- Working with the social media officer to promote STFC materials across different platforms and encourage traffic between them and back to the STFC website
- Providing content for real time use at STFC events such as live tweets and pictures
- Written content for use on any of platforms
- Contributing to the events and visits and to Directorate and STFC-wide initiatives and committees
- Assisting with the monitoring of social media channels
- Assisting with the creation of social media evaluation reports
- Writing online articles that follow a campaign theme and are targeted at specific audiences
- Providing technical skills and support for the production of a weekly creation of a regular staff e newsletter
- General business support to all parts of communications, including being part of a rota for the monitoring of group inboxes.
UK Research and Innovation is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, and a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation. More information can be found at www.ukri.org.
The Science and Technology Facilities Council is a world-leading multi-disciplinary science organisation, and our goal is to deliver economic, societal, scientific and international benefits to the UK and its people – and more broadly to the world.
Communications and Digital Content Industrial Placement - DL Cheshire - IRC251182
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!