STFC - ISIS - Elemental analysis instrumentation developer - Industrial Placement
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest research organisations. We’re trusted to support, enable and undertake pioneering projects in an amazing diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science, technology and Engineering.
STFC is one of nine organisations that have been brought together to create UK Research and Innovation (UKRI); a new organisation with a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
Each year we offer opportunities to undergraduate sandwich students to gain practical experience, working alongside technical experts at the forefront of scientific research. We offer an invaluable experience with exposure to world class science and technology, and the opportunity to develop working relationships that continue well after your placement has finished.
STFC consists of several distinct departments which each focus on a different specialism within science, technology, innovation and support, yet work together to achieve STFC’s grand ambitions. Different departments may look for placement students with similar skills, so you should consider which role/s are most suitable to you, and apply for up to two of these.
The ISIS Neutron and Muon Source at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory provides beams of subatomic particles that are used to study a wide range of different materials in order to answer questions in science and engineering. It is used by scientists from the UK and around the world working in both academia and industry.The ISIS Muon Group operates two facilities (EC Muons and RIKEN-RAL) which comprises of seven muon area for condensed matter and molecular studies. Recently, we have been developing a new area, which uses the unique capabilities offered by the RIKEN-RAL muon facility. Implanting negative muons results in X-ray and gamma emission that is element dependent and therefore the energy and intensity of such peaks can result in the determination of the elemental composition. These X-rays can have large energies (~MeV) therefore probing beneath the surface is entirely possible, making this a novel and potentially powerful non-destructive probe. This technique has broad science program, from cultural heritage to bio-materials to energy related materials
Summary of Key Duties & Responsibilities
This project involves developing the new data acquisition system, calibration of the detectors, automatic data analysis along with simulations for a new instrument.
UK Research and Innovation is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, and a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
The Science and Technology Facilities Council is a world-leading multi-disciplinary science organisation, and our goal is to deliver economic, societal, scientific and international benefits to the UK and its people – and more broadly to the world.
- At university, enrolled on an undergraduate degree course and required or have requested to take a year out of studies to gain experience within industry (S)
- Right to live and work in the UK (S)
- A-Level Physics and/or Chemistry (S)
- Experience of basic computer programming, preferably python (S&I)
- Good communication skills (I)
- Demonstrate good team working capabilities (S&I)
- The willingness to develop new skills, both technical and non-technical (S&I)
- Willing to work in the ISIS experimental halls (I).
- Undergraduate-level understanding of Physics or Chemistry or a related subject (S&I)
- Understanding of an elemental analysis technique (S&I)
- Experience of advanced computer programming, preferably python (S&I)
- Open minded and flexible in relation to the type of work assigned to them (S&I)
- Problem solving abilities (I)
- Willing to undertake travel on business, within and outside the UK (I).
Elemental analysis instrumentation developer - Industrial Placement - IRC250793
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!