Please be aware that there is also a Finance Industrial Placement based at Polaris House in Swindon. To be considered for this role, please also apply for IRC250899 Finance Industrial Placement - PH
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest research organisations. We’re trusted to support, enable and undertake pioneering projects in an amazing diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science, technology and Engineering.
STFC is one of nine organisations that have been brought together to create UK Research and Innovation (UKRI); a new organisation with a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
Each year we offer opportunities to undergraduate students to gain practical experience, working alongside technical experts at the forefront of scientific research. We offer an invaluable experience with exposure to world class science and technology, and the opportunity to develop working relationships that continue well after your placement has finished.
STFC consists of several distinct departments which each focus on a different specialism within science, technology, innovation and support, yet work together to achieve STFC’s grand ambitions. Different departments may look for placement students with similar skills, so you should consider which role/s are most suitable to you, and apply for up to two of these.
Strategic Planning & Financial Management
- Assist with Strategic Planning and reporting
- Cost centre and project budget setup
- Project maintenance, monitoring of income and expenditure and forecasting
- Creation of project reports
- Revenue analysis
- Research Council Service Level Agreement (SLA) management and grant administration
- European Commission Project time sheets.
- Creation and posting of Project and General Ledger Journals
- Creation of Sales Invoices
- Processing of travel claims
- Account code reconciliations.
Asset Management and Recording
- Carry out physical verification of assets
- Review capital project expenditure for non-capital costs
- Reconcile the Oracle Project Accounting module entries on capital projects with Oracle General Ledger entries
- Asset Tag and record new Capital Equipment.
Governance & Audit
- Support to the Governance team on the internal audit programme.
- Any other activities suitable for the role and experience.
- Following training you are excepted to be self-motivated, following policy, meeting deadlines and to work diligently through the workload assigned to them.
What is UK Research and Innovation?
Operating across the whole of the UK with a combined budget of more than £6 billion, UK Research and Innovation is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, and a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation. UKRI will build on the successful elements from the current funding system and maximise the contribution of each of the component parts to create the best environment for research and innovation to flourish.
Building on success
The UK has a world class research and innovation system. Our expertise spans all fields of knowledge, from the discovery of penicillin and monoclonal antibodies, to the jet engine and the world-wide web. Our inspirational creative industries are strong in art, design and the innovative use of new materials and technologies. Our universities and laboratories produce a disproportionate percentage of the world’s top research, and their academics are highly-sought as international colleagues and co-authors and are among the world’s best at attracting overseas students Nor is this excellence confined to university campuses and research centres. Our engineering, automotive and pharmaceutical industries are successful in part because of the superb graduates they can hire and the top rate researchers that support them.
The nine UK Research and Innovation partners each bring unique assets to this cooperation. Innovate UK helps businesses to identify the commercial potential in new technologies and turn them into the new products and services that will drive economic growth and increase productivity; Strong discipline-facing Research Councils encourage breadth and diversity, curiosity-driven research, and priority-driven initiatives; Research England’s work on knowledge exchange will focus on capacity and culture in universities and provide balance to the funding system. It will drive quality and impact through the REF and work closely with its counterparts in the devolved administrations.
Finance Industrial Placement RAL - IRC250846
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!