STFC is one of nine organisations that have been brought together to create UK Research and Innovation (UKRI); a new organisation with a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
Our graduates join us in a permanent position, starting a real job from day one. Graduates enjoy two years of formal soft skills together with technical training and development, as well as a direct route to professional accreditation. STFC graduates have the opportunity to build on their degree, taking their understanding, knowledge and skills to a new level in a dynamic, creative, collaborative culture
STFC consists of several distinct departments which each focus on a different specialism within science, technology, innovation and support, yet work together to achieve STFC’s grand ambitions. Different departments may look for graduates with similar skills, so you should consider which role/s are most suitable to you, and apply for up to two of these.
We are looking for graduates to support the development of new software in the ISIS Neutron and Muon department within STFC.
ISIS is a world-leading centre for research in the physical and life sciences. It supports a national and international community of more than 3000 scientists who use neutrons and muons for research in physics, chemistry, materials science, geology, engineering and biology. It is the most productive research centre of its type in the world.
Summary of Key Duties & Responsibilities
You will undertake activities that will develop your expertise in network design, cyber security, servers, storage & virtualisation, containerisation, cloud computing, bring your own device (BYOD), Unix, DevOps, software-defined networking, and the internet of things (IoT).
Your role will be based on your interests and strengths, so you do not need to know about all these areas!
As part of a team you will be involved in all stages of our projects, from requirements capture and feasibility through designing, configuring, scripting, testing, deployment and running high quality production services. You will get to work in a range of teams and projects including Agile/Scrum and DevOps teams. You will be given real responsibility and ownership.
You will be expected to:
- Communicate and work with fellow systems engineers, software developers, customers, scientists and management including writing documentation for technical and non-technical users
- Design solutions making use of appropriate techniques and tools
- Use a variety of tools and technologies used by teams to manage computer systems
- Write clear, well-structured scripts that implements the design and are easy to maintain
- Test and deploy your solutions, including helping to provide support after release
- Take an active role in both technical and non-technical meetings
- Participate in the wider department and STFC graduate training programme.
Once you have settled in, you will also be expected to:
- Lead work packages and projects through to completion
- Help colleagues with less experience get up to speed
- Supervise/mentor junior colleagues.
Training will be provided as necessary. In addition to a full induction and “on the job” training, you will have the opportunity to subscribe to professional online tutorial sites, attend conferences, attend technical courses, undertake various soft skills training and take part in our organisation-wide Early Careers conference, where you can network with other graduates and colleagues at the start of their career.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!