STFC - Estates - Graduate Construction Project Manager
We have 3 positions available - 2 based at STFC, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell, Oxfordshire and 1 based at STFC, Daresbury Laboratory, Cheshire. When applying please specify if you have a preference for either location in your cover letter.
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest research organisations. We’re trusted to support, enable and undertake pioneering projects in an amazing diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science, technology and Engineering.
STFC is one of nine organisations that have been brought together to create UK Research and Innovation (UKRI); a new organisation with a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
Our graduates join us in a permanent position, starting a real job from day one. Graduates enjoy two years of formal soft skills together with technical training and development, as well as a direct route to professional accreditation. STFC graduates have the opportunity to build on their degree, taking their understanding, knowledge and skills to a new level in a dynamic, creative, collaborative culture.
STFC consists of several distinct departments which each focus on a different specialism within science, technology, innovation and support, yet work together to achieve STFC’s grand ambitions. Different departments may look for graduates with similar skills, so you should consider which role/s are most suitable to you, and apply for up to two of these.
Estates Services is a diverse department providing professional Estates management to enable science. The department covers all aspects of Estates operations including managing the significant capital development programme, planned and reactive maintenance, asset replacement, site works projects and improvements. The Estates team consists of professional project managers, MEP design Engineers and core technical staff. The in house team is supported by 3rd party SME’s managed through service contracts.
The role will be responsible for supporting the delivery of the Estates capital building programme; to include overseeing the successful delivery of assigned works to programme and within allocated budget. You will engage with and consult with RAL stakeholders and connected third parties regarding Major Projects, including the capture of the “brief”, interpretation of requirements and preparation of Valued Engineered specifications, with the aid of the M & E Department and other specialists.
This role will see you take on some supervisory responsibilities for projects, and managing externally appointed professional teams and contractors.
Summary of key duties and responsibilities
- Manage and resolve requests for information from the contractor delivery team to the Estates client stakeholders
- Assist in the coordination of contractor works with building user operations, ensuring that CDM requirements and other site standards/policies are implemented
- Proactively and strategically plan project construction activities to avoid impacting upon the scientific programme
- Liaise with the client to interpret and define project requirements, scope and budget prior to works instruction
- Prepare estimates, specifications and tender documents relating to Projects at Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
- Instruct, implement and manage projects using NEC3 processes and protocols
- Procurement and supervision of contractors with minimal impact to the site location, including works coordination, integration, Safety and Quality assurance
- Project management of various projects incorporating all building disciplines, with assistance for M & E and other specialist trades
- Ensure the Users acceptance and sign off the completion of Project works
- Available for RAL Call-Outs and weekend working when required
- The above duties will require limited travel and may involve occasional overnight stays.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!