The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest research organisations. We’re trusted to support, enable and undertake pioneering projects in an amazing diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science, technology and Engineering.
STFC is one of nine organisations that have been brought together to create UK Research and Innovation (UKRI); a new organisation with a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
Our graduates join us in a permanent position, starting a real job from day one. Graduates enjoy two years of formal soft skills together with technical training and development, as well as a direct route to professional accreditation. STFC graduates have the opportunity to build on their degree, taking their understanding, knowledge and skills to a new level in a dynamic, creative, collaborative culture.
STFC consists of several distinct departments which each focus on a differents pecialism within science, technology, innovation and support, yet work together to achieve STFC’s grand ambitions. Different departments may look for graduates with similar skills, so you should consider which role/s are most suitable to you, and apply for up to two of these.
The ISIS Neutron Source
The ISIS neutron and muon source is a world-leading centre for research in the physical and life sciences. Our suite of neutron and muon instruments gives unique insights into the properties of materials on the atomic scale. Professional engineers maintain and enhance the facility to ensure it remains a world leading facility.
Opportunities exist within the ISIS Design Division for Graduate Mechanical Design and Project Engineers. The position will provide a unique opportunity for a wide variety of design, analysis and project engineering experiences across exotic materials, cutting edge joining techniques, high precision moving equipment and powerful magnets. The diverse nature of the facility is mirrored in its variety of mechanical systems: state-of-the-art precision mechanisms and motion systems, high power magnets, cryogenic and vacuum systems, very high pressure and extreme temperature sample environment systems.
Summary of key duties:
- To deliver engineering solutions for scientific requirements
- To be involved in each aspect of the delivery process from engineering concept, design, procurement, installation/commissioning,testing to final reporting
- Produce concepts, designs and engineering drawings through the use of 2D & 3D CAD systems
- Create and manage specifications based on customer requirements
- Produce calculations to validate designs
- Present designs for peer and stakeholder review
- Present work both in writing and verbally to a wide range of audiences
- Procure manufactured items and bought out components.
Knowledge, skills and experience required
- Highly motivated, innovative and inquisitive
- Strong ability to think creatively
- Willing to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to read and understand technical information
- Ability to communicate well both technically and non-technically
- Ability to produce good written work and reports
- Should be available for short overseas visits and occasional periods away from home in the UK (courses, seminars, etc.).
The criteria will be assessed at Shortlisting (S), Interview (I) or both (S&I)
- Obtained first degree bachelors or Masters (not doctorate) in a relevant subject in either 2018, 2019 or be due to receive it in 2020 (S)
- Expected or have achieved a 2:1 or above (S&I)
- The right to live and work in the UK (S)
- Individual and Team Project working during degree (S)
- Good technical understanding of the fundamentals of engineering (S&I)
- Ability to read and understand technical information (S&I)
- Ability to communicate well, both technically and non-technically (S&I)
- Ability to produce good, clear written communications (S)
- Able to influence people at all levels (I)
- Demonstrate good team working capabilities (I)
- Strong desire to learn and develop skills (S&I)
- An interest in learning and understanding issues in the wider area, outside of their own scope of work (S&I)
- Degree is IMechE/IET Accredited for CEng (S)
- Some industrial experience (S)
- Shows an interest in the world outside of engineering (S&I)
- Shows an appreciation of engineering in the wider context of society (S&I).
Please apply online only. Please submit a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability for this role.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!