The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest research organisations. We’re trusted to support, enable and undertake pioneering projects in an amazing diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science, technology and Engineering.
STFC is one of nine organisations that have been brought together to create UK Research and Innovation (UKRI); a new organisation with a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
Each year we offer opportunities to undergraduate sandwich students to gain practical experience, working alongside technical experts at the forefront of scientific research. We offer an invaluable experience with exposure to world class science and technology, and the opportunity to develop working relationships that continue well after your placement has finished.
STFC consists of several distinct departments which each focus on a different specialism within science, technology, innovation and support, yet work together to achieve STFC’s grand ambitions. Different departments may look for placement students with similar skills, so you should consider which role/s are most suitable to you, and apply for up to two of these.
The Harwell campus of the Science and Technologies Facilities Council is home to the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory and to the UK research community’s large-scale experimental Facilities. These are the Diamond Synchrotron and Electron Microscopy facilities, the ISIS neutron and muon source, and the Central Laser Facility. Researchers from universities and from industry use these facilities to investigate a very wide range of scientific applications ranging from determining protein structures to the physics of materials.
In the last decade, experiments performed at these facilities have become much more complex and now generate very large volumes of scientific data. Increasingly, researchers need support and assistance in all aspects of data management, from the generation and acquisition of the datasets on-site at the Facilities, the use of advanced data analytics to extract new science from their data, and through to data curation and archiving.
The Data Analysis as a Service (DAaaS) team in the Scientific Computing Department have been set up to work with colleague in Facilities and their user communities. The team provide leading analysis framework, bringing together the users’ data and software supported by the STFC Cloud.
We have an excellent opportunity to for an undergraduate sandwich student to work in this growing team. You will join our ambitious team and work collaboratively with the software developers and service team. You will gain deep, hands-on expertise with the latest and the most popular development tools and practices as you help deliver solutions to some of the world’s biggest and innovative science experiments.
Summary of Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Developing software and deploying new systems to help scientists performing experiments
- Interacting with scientists to gain understanding of how they work and gathering their requirements
- Problem solving issues affecting scientists and creating solutions
- Working with other software developers and learning new skills
- Working in a Scrum/Agile environment.
UK Research and Innovation is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, and a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
The Science and Technology Facilities Council is a world-leading multi-disciplinary science organisation, and our goal is to deliver economic, societal, scientific and international benefits to the UK and its people – and more broadly to the world.
- At university, enrolled on an undergraduate degree course and required or have requested to take a year out of studies to gain experience within industry (S)
- Right to live and work in the UK (S)
- Good knowledge of a programming or scripting language (Python, Java, C, shell scripting...) (S&I)
- Excellent communication skills (S&I)
- Passionate in software development and science (I)
- Cloud technologies (Openstack, AWS, Google Cloud...) (S&I)
- Understanding of software development cycles (S&I)
- Experience using Linux systems (S&I)
- Experience using version control system (Git, SVN...) (S&I)
Software Engineer Industrial Placement - IRC251026
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!