£25,000 - £30,000
Are you ready to take on buying?
If you are looking to launch a career where you can use your eye for fashion and knowledge of consumers, then this is the role for you!
We recruit for our Trainee Scheme on a rolling basis, so apply now whether you are looking to start immediately or at a future date.
About the team
We have Trainee Buyer roles across our own-brand womenswear, menswear, childrenswear, home and womenswear non-clothing departments, as well as within our branded teams.
You will work closely with your buying colleagues, as well as merchandisers, technologists and designers on tasks from sourcing materials to conducting competitor analysis. If placed within an own-brand team you will be involved in product development activities, or if you go into a branded team you will work with an exciting selection of external brands.
About the scheme
This is a 12-18 month scheme designed to allow you to acquire the skills to develop as a future Buyer, and on successful completion of the scheme you will be promoted to an Assistant Buyer.
Develop an understanding of the product development process...
- Sourcing the right materials
- Negotiating the best cost
- Approving colour, fabric and fit for production.
- Liaise with suppliers from Europe to the Far East to Track samples for selection meetings and production.
- Prepare garments/accessories for selection meetings, trade meetings and online photoshoots.
- Have an awareness of key fashion and market trends by gaining inspiration from a variety of sources
- Use your knowledge of relevant trends to find new product initiatives that you believe are missing from the departments current product offering
- Conduct competitor shop analysis and present findings back to your team to gain an understanding of where Next sits in the market .
- Maintain accurate buying systems
- Work closely with the trainee merchandiser to analyse daily best/ worst sellers and make recommendations
- Maintain an organised department - sample storage and approval library
- Highly organised, you’ll be able to proactively manage a wide range of responsibilities throughout the development process.
- An exceptional communicator who is confident in putting forward their ideas
- Good analytical skills with an understanding of margin and costs.
- A team player who will build excellent relationships both internally and externally.
- Passionate about retail (customer experiences; whether that’s in a store/shop, layouts and instore shopping environments or online, why and where people shop….customer shopping habits….trends….) and thrives in a fast paced, busy, and challenging environment.
- You live and breathe fashion and are able to present your ideas in a clear and compelling way.
- Confident presentation skills.
Things that will help you get ahead when applying for this role
- Excellent knowledge on current trends within the fashion industry
- Ideas for new product initiatives that we are missing here at NEXT
- Comprehensive understanding of Next’s pricing architecture and how this compares to our competitors
- Acknowledge that our customer base is broad and ever growing, we are always looking for new opportunities to expand our product offering
- Research future trends using trend forecasting websites to gain an understanding of where we get inspiration and how we are reactive
As well as the standard company benefits, this role also includes:
- Access to bespoke training designed to develop you as a future buyer
- The option to rent a room in our trainee house for up to 6 months if relocating (dependant on availability)
- Access to our free staff bus service that links Leicester City Centre and a number of local destinations to our Head Office site in Enderby
- 25% off a huge selection of Next, Lipsy & Victoria's Secret products
- Company performance based bonus
- Sharesave scheme
- On-site Nursery available; OFSTED outstanding in all areas
- 10% off most partner brands & up to 15% off Branded Beauty
- Early VIP access to sale stock
- Access to fantastic discounts at our Staff Shops
- Subsidised restaurant, coffee shop and juice bar
- Access a 24/7 digital GP and other free health and wellbeing services
- Free on-site parking
Our aim is to support all applicants during the application process and to provide reasonable adjustments when necessary and requested. If you would like to request support with your application due to any health condition, feel free to click 'apply' and get in touch with us.
£25,000 - £30,000
Leicester (Hybrid working)