An opportunity has developed for a Trainee Operator to join Braemar ACM Shipbroking at our London office.
Specialised Tanker Operators are intermediaries between chemical and speciality product tanker owners and charterers. Once commercial freight terms and details have been agreed, the operator coordinates, oversees, and assists with the physical voyage from start to finish.
High calibre operators are a crucial part of our service and value – they are essential to our success.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to train within an established team where they will gain insight into all aspects of shipping and supply chain operations.
- Learning on the job to gain comprehensive expertise in operational systems and service.
- Directing progress of a voyage, availability of cargo and berths, declaration of options etc.
- Provide proactive communication between agents, owners, ships, ports, charterers, suppliers, and receivers.
- Interpret and act on any information or messages, seek outstanding details, anticipate forward implications, and offer advice and support.
- Gain understanding of charterparty and contract T&Cs and legalities and the associated responsibilities and liabilities of Owners and Charterers.
- Gain technical insight into the mechanics of shipping complex and sometimes dangerous products in unpredictable seas, tides, weather conditions, and physical restrictions.
- Proactive minimization of exposure to demurrage, dead freight, restrictions etc.
- Provide advice to create a favourable outcome if nomination does not meet agreed terms or partners are unable to perform.
- Mediation of disputes/claims – facilitate resolution.
- Evaluation of contractual performance by compiling and interpreting Key Performance Statistics.
- Arrange and run operation review meetings.
- Reliability, accuracy of reporting, quick responses.
- Adaptable to work with different cultures, personalities, time zones, and products.
- Empathy and understanding of situations outside parties’ control.
- Flexibility to a constantly moving workload.
- IT literate and good standard of Maths and English. Decisive and able to understand and convey messages and instructions clearly.
- Focused and responsive with outstanding attention to detail and organisational skills.
- A strong team player and work ethic with a willing, collaborative, and flexible attitude.
- Self-motivated, proactive, confident, and able to take initiative.
- Excellent interpersonal, listening and communication skills to build relationships with all levels of internal and external stakeholders.
- Availability out of office hours – shipping is a 24/7 business.
- A-levels or college leaver preferred, but not essential, however must demonstrate an interest in Shipping.
- Previous work experience (including part time).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office especially Excel and PowerPoint.
- Additional languages could be an advantage.
To apply please send your CV to the email address provided.