The role and key responsibilities
- To provide a high quality legal service to all our clients.
- To develop and maintain good client relation skills, gaining clients’ confidence and that of other professionals
- To work and behave in a professional manner and within the higher standards of the profession.
- To promote and protect the firm’s interests in all communications.
- Comply with procedures set out in the Office Procedures Manual (OPM), trainee requirements under the terms and conditions of the period of recognised training and the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).
- Carry out duties given by the partners or employees faithfully and diligently and follow all reasonable instructions.
- Treat all information about the firm and its clients and their business as wholly confidential.
- Record all chargeable hours.
- Undertake an appropriate caseload of matters within various practice areas, under close supervision.
- To acquire sufficient practical experience, knowledge and skill as a lawyer so as to give reassurance that all relevant legal issues in respect of a matter have been, are and will be dealt with competently in the interests of the firm.
- Attend courses required by the SRA.
- Participate in team meetings as and when required.
- Attend internal training and external training as and when required.
- Keep up to date with developments in law and practice so that standard of work is not compromised.
- Read journals and attend courses as part of continuing professional development (CPD). Keep track of CPD hours.
- Sharing of information.
- To participate in the growth and development of the department / firm.
- Keep a record of all work done and training.
Specific tasks may change over time, so we’ll need you to be adaptable and flexible as we continue to meet our clients’ needs.
- You will be educated to degree level, preferably having obtained a 2:1 or above. LPC qualified is essential and offers made prior to this being obtained will be subject to successful completion of exams.
- You see the value in Bates Wells as a career choice and view Bates Wells as a high quality employer.
- You share our values and want to make a difference.
- You want to feel that you are a part of the Bates Wells experience and ‘belong’.
- You are not afraid to test assumptions and challenge.
- You want exposure to a variety of challenges that will allow you to innovate.
- You are technically excellent, commercially minded and have great people skills.
- A one firm approach means working together and improving to achieve common goals and to provide a consistent Bates Wells experience.
- We are driven by our values and the Bates Wells Way.
- We work with exceptional clients to offer the very best work.
- We want to have a positive impact on our people who are our greatest asset so that they can have a positive impact on others. Purpose is baked into our partnership deed.
- Looking for better ways of working is always our priority.
- We promote a strong work/life balance with 25 days holiday with the opportunity to buy more and a ‘Summer in the City’ early-Friday-finish.
- We have an agile working environment – this means you might sit next to a different colleague every day or choose to work from our rooftop garden if you are in the office. We are currently reviewing our policies to enable a hybrid model moving forward.
- Our culture encourages clear and honest dialogue and cross-team support
- The firm review salaries annually as part of the appraisal process in July of each year. However, we encourage our staff to engage with their supervisors throughout the year on feedback and objective setting.
- We recognise success and contribution at any time of the year through our Recognition Scheme
- Our benefits and wellbeing package includes firm matching pension contributions, private medical insurance plus a medical benefit cash plan, discretionary bonus arrangements, life assurance, subsidised gym memberships, lifestyle discount scheme, firm-wide profit sharing scheme and an on site café.
- Everyone gets a bonus if there is one - a proportion of the LLP profit is distributed to our people when we exceed our financial thresholds.
- We are committed to your wellbeing and offer physical and mental support in the way of subsidised gym membership, private health care and in-office Mental Health Awareness Ambassadors.
- We strongly believe that everyone should have the opportunity to reach their full potential whatever their background and believe a diverse team is integral to our success. We are signatories of the Halo Code Agreement, Race at Work Charter and Race Fairness Commitment