Work with Us. Change the World.
At AECOM, we're delivering a better world. Whether improving your commute, keeping the lights on, providing access
to clean water, or transforming skylines, our work helps people and communities thrive. We are the world's trusted
infrastructure consulting firm, partnering with clients to solve the world’s most complex challenges and build legacies
for future generations.
There has never been a better time to be at AECOM. With accelerating infrastructure investment worldwide, our
services are in great demand. We invite you to bring your bold ideas and big dreams and become part of a global team
of nearly 50,000 planners, designers, engineers, scientists, digital innovators, program and construction managers and
other professionals delivering projects that create a positive and tangible impact around the world.
We're one global team driven by our common purpose to deliver a better world. Join us.
Our Transmission and Distribution team are currently seeking graduates to work in our St Albans and Basingstoke offices from January 24.
Committed to addressing the complete spectrum of energy challenges, we offer expertise in the following sectors: renewable energy (wind and solar), hydropower, bio-energy (including energy from waste), energy efficiency and carbon management, thermal power generation, nuclear power and transmission and distribution.
The Transmission & Distribution (T&D) Engineering team provides a range of services from the initial concept through High Voltage Power Systems Analysis, Cabling, Substations, Transmission and Distribution Infrastructure, System Balancing and Compensation, PrDubliotection Systems, SCADA, Communications, Converter Station Design, HVDC Systems and Interconnectors including overseas links.
We provide development, design, maintenance and project management for all services and comply with client and other stakeholder’s quality, technical, commercial, safety and environmental requirements.
An example project is a hyper scale datacentre. AECOM completed the planning application to ABP for the first contestably built 220 kV substation in Ireland. This required system studies and preliminary electrical design. We then acted as owners engineer for the 18-month construction phase for the 220-kV substation. AECOM has completed the second planning application for another 220-kV substation at the same site and completed the owners engineer role for the construction.
The successful candidate will primarily be working on transmission assets in the Republic of Ireland or the UK, but the team is working on multiple projects in Europe and further afield and some international travel may be required.
Regular site visits to construction sites for substations, cables and overhead lines would be a feature of this role.
We encourage membership and networking activities in industry bodies including the IEI and sector specific bodies like CIGRE as part of our team’s personal development.
When a graduate starts with AECOM, we pair them with a senior member of the team who will guide and mentor them through their initial period working on live projects and business development proposals. Their initial role be involved in a selection of activities potentially including:
- Conceptual Design
- Power Network Design, Power System Analysis & Studies
- Load & Demand Forecasting, System Stability Analysis
- Substation Site Selection
- Substation Design
- Ground Resistivity Measurement & Earthing System Design using CDE3D Substation & Switchyard Layout Visualization
- Lightning Protection System Design
- Overhead & Underground Cable System Design
- Interconnector Studies & Design
- Transformer & Switchgear Selection & Installation
- Options Selection & Evaluation
- Value Engineering
- HV Cable studies using CYMCAP
Our Graduate Development Programme (ADVANCE) along with our huge scope of projects across the globe will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our GDP forms a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have more than 750 graduates on our programmes across the UK and Ireland from more than 40 different disciplines, each making a tangible difference to the environment in which we live and work.
We shall provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including Chartership with the relevant international professional institution (we have graduates working towards more than 30 professional institutions in the UK and Ireland). We shall push you to achieve the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time. You will be assigned a mentor to support and guide your development, and you will take regular training modules throughout the programme. There will be on-the-job technical development and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects with significant multi-disciplinary exposure.
- BSc/BEng in Electrical/Power Engineering, with a 2:1 classification (or equivalent) or above
- MSc/MEng in Electrical/Power Engineering would be an advantage
- Must have completed HV & Power related course work or module options
- Experience with AutoCAD and AutoCAD 3D is essential
- Ability to structure & prioritise work effectively through close cooperation with the team as a whole
- Ability to work in a team and independently without losing initiative & focus
- Good numerical skills
- Ability to communicate effectively to internal and external clients, both verbally & in writing with the confidence to engage with a variety of people (clients, colleagues, stakeholders and sub-contractors alike) and the aptitude to rationally explain, explore and discuss technical issues and capture feedback
- Good Microsoft Office skills essential such as Word, Excel & PowerPoint
- Excellent research and report writing skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work in a team and independently without losing initiative & focus.
- Enthusiastic, hard-working, with ambition and drive
- Full driving license and willingness to travel on occasion is desirable (some site travel with equipment may be required)
St Albans and Basingstoke