upReach is an award-winning social mobility charity supporting less-advantaged undergraduates to secure top jobs in sectors such as Law and Banking.
We deliver a comprehensive programme of professional development to over 1,600 students, working in close partnership with top employers such as Slaughter and May, Goldman Sachs and Allen & Overy.
As part of our continued expansion into the sector, we are seeking to hire a new Programme Coordinator , who would be responsible for supporting 90 students on our programme and organising various events. Our current team includes recent graduates and those with experience up to Partner / Director level - all share a passion for improving social mobility. This opportunity could suit someone with prior experience, or a graduate who has secured a Training Contract in 2022.
In October 2019, upReach won the Charity of the Year Award (income < £1m) in the prestigious Charity Times Awards, and the charity is currently shortlisted for a Charity Governance Award in the “Embracing Digital” category, to be announced in May 2020.
About the Role
Law Programme Coordinator : This individual will be responsible for delivering a dedicated programme of support for students interested in pursuing a career in the legal sector.
Core delivery responsibilities for a Law Programme Coordinator will include:
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with Associates, supporting them to achieve their career goals
- Developing and delivering professional development -focused support
- Individual and small group work with Associates
- Supporting Associates when applying to work experience, vacation schemes and Training Contracts.
- Helping students develop commercial awareness and employability skills, and building resources for our online platform.
- Developing and maintaining strong relationships with our university and employer partners.
- Planning and delivering events and workshops with partners
This position would be suited to individuals who are committed to upReach’s mission. We are looking for individuals who are passionate about social-mobility and believe that background should not be a barrier to graduate employment.
The ideal candidate might be someone who has:
- Experience working as a solicitor or barrister, or
- Already secured a Training Contract or is looking to secure one within the next few years, or
- Completed a Law degree, their Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL) and/or the Legal Practice Course (LPC).
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment and working independently to find solutions to problems
- Strong organisational skills with a keen eye for detail and the ability to manage a varied workload
- At least a Grade ‘B’ in Maths and English GCSE (if you have extenuating circumstances, let us know)
- University degree (2:1 or higher) in any discipline, or equivalent experience
- Self-motivation and an ability to work in a small team as well as independently
- Excellent communication skills and strong written English
- Ability to engage and communicate confidently with undergraduates, corporate volunteers (mentors) and employers via phone, email, and in person
- Knowledge of the graduate labour market in the UK and experience supporting individuals through an application process
- Knowledge of how law firms work and operate
- Strong negotiation skills and experience in roles requiring influence
- Experience working in the legal sector or law related roles
Values & Competencies
upReach upholds the following values:
We are looking for candidates to display the following competencies during the application stages:
- Problem solving and decision making
- Planning and organising
- Passion and motivation
- Communication skills
Please email your CV and a covering letter (in PDF format) to Emily Walter via the apply by email email button by midday on Friday 12 June. In your covering letter, please explain your motivation for applying to this role, and why you are interested in working at upReach, giving further details about your interest and ambitions in the legal sector.
Video or telephone interviews will be held in June 2020. Early applications are encouraged as we may interview and/or appoint before the closing date.
Please Note: upReach has a responsibility under the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006 to ensure that, at the time of starting their employment, successful candidates have permission to work in the UK.
If you have a right to work in the UK, you will be required to bring proof of this to your online interview (by providing your original passport or other right to work documents). If your permission to work in the UK relies on a job offer, please bring written details including evidence of any existing visas or work permits. A photocopy/ scan will be requested of your right to work document(s) and stored securely. If you are unsuccessful at interview the copy will be destroyed. Unfortunately, upReach is unable to financially sponsor Visas or work permits.
upReach is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, colour, religion, gender, age, disability, social background or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity and believe it creates dynamic and effective organisations. We are working hard to increase diversity in our team. We are committed to making our roles and culture inclusive. We can make reasonable adjustments throughout the application process and on the job.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!