Due to an internal promotion we have a fantastic opportunity for a dynamic and proactive Junior Legal Counsel to join our in-house team based at our HQ in Glasgow on a permanent basis.
You will be responsible for assisting with all corporate governance and commercial legal needs of the business including compliance, data protection, commercial property, commercial contracts, and company secretarial work and will get to work with a great group of internal and external stakeholders.
Your ability to provide practical legal advice, make difficult decisions and provide substantiated arguments with a high degree of credibility, respect and trust will be the key drivers to your success.
The role will report into the Legal Manager. Working hours are 35 per week with general hours of Monday to Thursday 08:30am – 5pm & Friday 08:30 – 13:30 however there is flexibility with start and finish times.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Providing advice, guidance and training with special regard to compliance matters within the regulations and controls which govern the manufacturing, marketing and sale of scotch whisky
- Supporting the Legal Manager on implementing, maintaining and enhancing day-to-day compliance and governance within the business, particularly with regards to GDPR/data privacy
Business Partnering & External Relationship Management
- Providing guidance, leading and influencing the business to ensure implementation of legal best practice
- Providing legal support and general advice to all functions of the business including Brand Teams, Sales, Production, Finance and Logistics
- Leading and managing external legal and business advisors to ensure access to specialist or expert advice and high level input to project teams
- Company secretarial business including managing company books, dealing with annual returns, web-filing and audit certificates
- Negotiating, drafting and reviewing a variety of commercial contracts for key projects across the business including international distributorship, UK trading, supply, bottling, marketing services, consultancy and service agreements
Do You Have The Following?
- The right to practise as a qualified Solicitor within Scotland
- Membership of a UK Law Society
- 1 -2 year post qualification experience in a commercial law firm and/or in-house legal department
- Demonstrable experience in drafting and negotiating commercial contracts and in Intellectual Property matters, particularly trademarks.
- Strong legal knowledge across a range of commercial topics
- Experience of company secretarial matters in the UK would be advantageous
- Able to provide support with a high degree of professionalism in a fast-paced environment?
- Able to provide a robust view, take responsibility and ownership of issues?
- A self-starter, adept at responding promptly and prioritising
- Someone who actively looks to build relationships based on trust and confidence
- Someone who seeks out opportunities to learn and develop
- Able to identify improvement opportunities and challenge the status quo
- You’ll gain a robust learning and development journey both functionally and into the world of whisky and spirits
- Competitive salary
- Company Performance Bonus
- 35 days annual leave per annum
- 10% employer pension contribution
- Healthcare cash plan including optical and dental
- Group life cover
- A great product allowance
- Don’t forget the earlier finish on a Friday!
Who We Are
Whyte & Mackay was founded on the docks of Glasgow in 1844 by James Whyte and Charles Mackay, who had a mission to create a truly Scottish blended whisky. This partnership laid the foundations for the company’s continued growth over the next century, with the company now producing and distributing some of the most highly-awarded and respected whisky and spirit brands.
The multi-award winning portfolio includes the Jura Single Malt Scotch Whisky as well as the flagship Whyte & Mackay Blended Whisky, The Dalmore Highland Single Malt, Tamnavulin, Fettercairn, The Woodsman and Shackleton Blended Malt Scotch Whisky to name a few. We also distribute Flor de Caña, Camus and RumChata in the UK.
At the heart of the company is a passion to create unique products that have craftsmanship, provenance, innovation and quality at the core.
We look forward to receiving your application!
Please submit a copy of your up to date CV F.A.O Holly Morrison.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!