Edinburgh and Lothian + 1
Work experience in Edinburgh or Glasgow (1 week)
Ref No: 62058
Work Type: Full Time - Work Experience
Role: Trainee Lawyer/Graduate Lawyer
Work experience (second/third year law students)
Who are we?
We are a global law firm that specialises in litigation and dispute resolution. We provide a range of specialist legal services for many industries, including: insurance and reinsurance, healthcare, construction, transport, maritime and international trade, rail, and aviation.
With over 2,200 people worldwide across 43 offices in the UK and Europe, the Middle East, Asia Pacific and Latin America, we have some of the most respected legal minds in their fields. Out of our 280 Global Partners, 34 trained with Kennedys.
The aim of our work experience programme is to provide an insight into what a career in law entails, to help you make more informed career decisions and to better prepare you for future applications. We aim to answer all your questions and address your concerns by providing quality work experience that supports your ambitions.
We offer a one week work experience programme which can be completed flexibly. Our programme will provide valuable hands-one experience of day to day activities in a law firm. It will consist of interactive workshops, presentations and activities to develop your skills and experience. You will meet a variety of people from around the office to learn about how the firm operates and the variety of departments and roles within the firm. You will also be given hints and tips on entering into the legal profession.
Upon completion, students will earn a certificate which they can add to their CV.
- Edinburgh - 2 students
- Glasgow - 2 students
When does it happen?
Our work experience programmes are held in person between July and August 2022.
Who can apply?
To apply for the programme, students must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Be a law student in their second or third year of undergraduate study
- Have a keen interest in pursuing a career in the legal profession
- Be at least 18 years of age and entitled to work in the UK
- Attend, and have always attended, a state-funded, non-fee-paying school/college.
We welcome applications from candidates who:
- Are from minority ethnic backgrounds
- Are the first generation in their family to attend university
- Be the first generation in their family to attend university
- Have been in receipt of Free School Meals whilst at secondary school
- Have attended schools with a lower-than-average progression to higher education, or a higher-than-average proportion of students who qualify for Free School Meals/Pupil Premium
- Have parent(s)/guardian(s) who qualify for means-tested benefits
- Have been looked after or in care
- Have come to the UK as a refugee or asylum seeker
- Has or had part time or full time caring responsibilities (caring for a child or for an elderly person or for a person whose physical or mental condition requires them to be cared for).
- Were young carers (who when they were 18 or under, or still a pupil at school, cared for a friend or family member due to illness, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction).
How do I apply?
Before you apply, make sure you have reviewed our eligibility criteria.
Applications for work experience will be reviewed at the end of June, and successful candidates will be contacted in early July to be offered work experience at the Firm. Kennedys will only accept online applications for work experience via the application form below.
We will ask you to provide the following information:
- Your name
- Your university, course and year group
- Your CV
- Which office you would like to apply for a placement in (Edinburgh or Glasgow)
- Any flexible working requirements and a brief reason for this request (for example morning only or remote working due to work or family commitments); and
- A brief statement on why you would like to apply for this placement at Kennedys (200 words max)
You will not be able to edit your application once it has been submitted. If you need to make changes after this point, please email HR.Admin@kennedyslaw.com with the correct information as soon as possible.
Applications for our 2022 programme will be open from June 2022.
Due to anticipated large volume of applications, we will only be able to contact and provide feedback to successful candidates.
You will receive £300 on completion of the five-day work experience. Furthermore, all reasonable lunch and travel expenses will be reimbursed.
Edinburgh and Lothian, Glasgow