TARGETjobs black logo

Birkbeck, University of London

Sector menu
Birkbeck, University of London main image


This programme offers you the chance to study a range of modules in pure and applicable mathematics, giving you the opportunity to increase your knowledge and abilities in these areas. Depending on your choices, you will take either seven or eight modules, allowing you to study several different topics in depth, and to focus on the areas that interest you most.

Over two years you will also learn the methods of mathematical research: how to read mathematical papers and how to communicate mathematics, both in written form for your project dissertation, and orally when you give presentations about your project.

You will acquire the skills to pursue your interest in the subject, either formally with a research degree, or informally with independent reading. You will come to us as someone with a mathematics degree; you will graduate as a mathematician.


- Offers modules in group theory, graph theory, combinatorics and applicable mathematics such as coding theory and cryptography.

- Specially designed for part-time students: delivered via high-quality, face-to-face teaching in the evenings, so that you can fit study around daytime commitments.

- You complete a project in your chosen area of mathematics, with guidance from an expert supervisor.

- Birkbeck's mathematicians are all active researchers, mostly in the areas of algebra and combinatorics. We've developed this exciting course around those research strengths.

- Birkbeck has a library and several workstation rooms. You can also use several local university libraries, including the collection of the London Mathematical Society, a five-minute walk from Birkbeck's main building.

Entry requirements

MSc: Second-class honours degree with mathematics as the main field of study. Applicants with a first degree in another quantitative subject may be able to take Birkbeck's Graduate Certificate/Graduate Diploma in Mathematics as a qualifying course.

Course modules

For information about course structure and the modules you will be studying, please visit Birkbeck's online prospectus.

Assessment methods

For most modules there will be a daytime examination in May/June, worth 80% of the marks for the module; these are the only daytime commitments in your programme. The other 20% of the module is from assessed coursework. Coursework consists of short, problem-based assignments, and you will have around three weeks to complete each of these.

The project module has four assessment points: 80% of the marks for the module are for the dissertation (submitted at the end of Year 2); 5% for the initial 10-minute oral presentation (autumn term, Year 2); 5% for the written progress report (spring term, Year 2); and 10% for the final oral presentation (end of Year 2).


Qualification Study mode Start month Fee Fee locale Course duration
MSc Part-time October 2019 7,600 (Year 1) International 2 Years
MSc Part-time October 2019 4,450 (Year 1) England 2 Years
MSc Part-time October 2019 4,450 (Year 1) EU 2 Years
MSc Part-time October 2019 4,450 (Year 1) Wales 2 Years
MSc Part-time October 2019 4,450 (Year 1) Northern Ireland 2 Years
MSc Part-time October 2019 4,450 (Year 1) Scotland 2 Years

Get in touch today and increase your future employability