Bath Spa University
PGCE Secondary Math with PE
Outstanding teachers make a difference to the lives and futures of the people they teach. Embedded within our partnership with schools, this Ofsted Outstanding-rated programme will support you to become an innovative and inspiring Secondary teacher.
Our full-time PGCE Secondary Maths with PE course spans from the beginning of September to the beginning of July. You'll gain experience in a wide variety of schools including primary and special schools. The programme is structured to ensure that you acquire expertise in core teaching skills and attributes, but also contains enough flexibility to allow you to individualise your training during professional development weeks.
You'll graduate with a PGCE with QTS and 60 Master's Level Credits - these can contribute to a full Master's qualification to further develop your professional and academic expertise.
*Visit Get Into Teaching for more details.
You’ll need to be suited to the teaching profession both personally and academically. We look for committed individuals with a professional approach and an exceptional work ethic. You’ll need to be organised, flexible and unflappable, as well as being able to communicate, interact and relate well to everyone. When entering the teaching profession, having strong emotional resilience and a sense of humour will give you the edge.
- In order to apply you'll need to have completed, or be in the final year of a UK degree (or an equivalent qualification).
- You will need to hold a 2:2 honours degree or above, or be in your final year of your degree programme. We also look for applicants to hold GCSE English Language and Maths at Grade C (or 4 under the new mark scheme) or above, as well as having passed the QTS tests in Literacy and Numeracy. The QTS tests can be taken after interview, but must be completed by a date stipulated in any offer.
- In addition, you’ll need A-level or equivalent in both Mathematics and Physical Education or Sports, as well as a degree in Mathematics, or a related discipline with at least 50% Mathematics content.
- If you have a Sports Science degree, or a degree with less Mathematical content, you can still apply for the course but are likely to be asked to complete an accredited Mathematics Enhancement Course. We offer a 28-week intensive Mathematics Enhancement Course here at Bath Spa which aims to develop a deep understanding of all school Mathematics with the potential to teach up to A-level standard.
- The love of and competency of both subjects is one of the most important aspects of being a good teacher. You’ll be enthusiastic about both subjects and working with children.
- All applicants are subject to a number of checks designed to maintain the integrity of the teaching profession. You'll be required to attend an interview, complete Professional Skills Tests and undergo DBS checks.
The PGCE Secondary programme consists of seamless training both at the University and in school. There are two assessed phases in school – one lasting seven weeks, and the other lasting 14 weeks.
Prior to these are University sessions involving subject pedagogies and knowledge which link to schools through direct classroom sessions.
The Professional Studies programme dovetails both school and University training.
A personalised process of continuous assessment ensures that learning is appropriate and effective. There are five progress review points throughout the PGCE year, which take the form of individual tutorials with your Academic Tutor to monitor your progress and set individual targets for the next phase of training.
The PGCE Secondary programme is a continuous and open assessment of your progress across all aspects of the training: Subject Studies, Professional Studies and school-assessed phases. Three assignments are offered at Level 7 (Postgraduate award) through which you can gain 60 Master's level credits to put towards further part-time study at the University.
|Qualification||Study mode||Start month||Fee||Fee locale||Course duration|
|PGCE||Full time||£ 9,250 (Academic year)||Home/EU||12 Months|
|PGCE||Full time||£ 13,300 (Academic year)||International||12 Months|
Get in touch today and increase your future employability