Manchester Metropolitan University
Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC)
Following the academic requirements of the Bar Standards Board, we've designed this course to provide you with the skills and expertise needed for a successful career as a barrister.
From day one, you'll get involved with advocacy training and group sessions that deliver true-to-life mock trials, assessments, and real-life legal work experience opportunities.
You'll put your skills into action as you 'perform' in front of other students and develop strong working relationships similar to a professional chambers.
To equip you with the knowledge you need, you'll study core modules including resolution of disputes out of court and professional ethics.
You'll also have the chances to explore the areas that interest you - whether that's employment law or personal injury litigation.
**The heart of the Northern Circuit**
Manchester Law School has been delivering this course for 20 years. In that time, we've built links to both the local legal profession and the Northern Circuit.
We've built a highly experienced team that includes barristers and solicitors, district judges, internationally renowned research academics and legal scholars.
Throughout the course, practitioners from the Northern Circuit provides additional advocacy classes and are on-hand at events to offer advice about your future as a barrister.
**Features and Benefits**
- Specialist facilities for BPTC students - apply your skills in a realistic environment with ourspecialist facilities including chambers rooms, a legal library and mock court room.
- A legal hub - study in the second largest legal centre in the UK. Manchester is home to well-respected law firms and at the heart of the North Circuit of the Bar.
- Extensive training - hone your skills with 42 hours of criminal and civil advocacy plus assessments - over three times the minimum required by the Bar Standards Board.
- Additional Professional Programme (APP) - bridge the gap between student and professional life and prepare for the Bar. Develop your CV by attending regular guest lectures and doing pro bono work.
- Practitioner Mentor Scheme - each chambers group will be assigned a practising barrister as a mentor to mirror the real-life practices.
- Mediator Training Programme - you'll have the opportunity to gain an additional qualification in mediation through the ADR Group at no extra cost.
- Supportive community - the student Law Society brings together students from all stages of legal study. The Law Society incorporates the Critical Lawyers Group (CLG) and the Mooting and Advocacy Society.
Bar Professional Training Course: To be considered for a place on the BPTC, you will normally have to satisfy two criteria:
You will hold an LLB degree or have completed the GDL programme.
You will have obtained a pass in the Bar Aptitude Test.
BPTC students are selected primarily on academic ability and must have been awarded at least a 2:2 at undergraduate degree level, or international equivalent, although factors such as commitment to the profession, motivation and other skills will also be considered.
All BPTC offers are subject to the condition that students successfully complete the academic stage of their training to the Bar Standards Board's satisfaction and have enrolled as a student member of one of the Inns of Court.
International students please refer to mmu.ac.uk/international. This course requires IELTS of 7.5 in all elements of the test. Please note this is a requirement that differs from the University standard.
|Qualification||Study mode||Start month||Fee||Fee locale||Course duration|
|Bar Professional Training Course||Full-time||September 2019||1 Years|
Get in touch today and increase your future employability