The University of Law
Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC)
At The University of Law, we pride ourselves in offering the best legal training - and our Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC) is no exception.
Our BPTC is designed to help you secure pupillage and prepare you for life as a barrister. In fact, of our 2016 Full-time UK/EU graduates, 55% have gained a pupillage to date. Furthermore, this year, 22% of our full-time graduates obtained an 'Outstanding' grade, which is more than twice the national average of 9% in 2015.
You can expect exceptionally high standards of tutoring and a wealth of pro bono opportunity. We’ll support you in preparing pupillage applications, with access to our specialist careers service from the moment you accept your place.
To be eligible to take up your place, you must comply with the requirements for commencing a Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC) set out by the Bar Standards Board (BSB). The Academic Stage Handbook gives you full information about these requirements.
- You will be required to pass the Bar Standards Board aptitude test by August 2017 (known as the Bar Course Aptitude Test - BCAT).
- You will need either a qualifying law degree (QLD) 2:1 minimum or an undergraduate degree in any other subject (2:1 minimum*) and a Graduate Diploma in Law/CPE
- For qualifying law degrees, all offers based on predicted grades will be conditional upon achieving a 2:1 or above
- Applicants who meet the basic eligibility criteria may then be invited to attend a selection interview at one of our centres.
*For non QLD applicants with a 2:2, offers based on predicted GDL grade will be conditional upon achieving distinction or commendation
English language requirement
- You must be fluent in English and you will need to be able to demonstrate that your oral and written English is equivalent to one of the qualifications listed on the course website.
With its unique combination of face-to-face teaching and online training, the BPTC structure has been designed to reflect the litigation process that practising barristers encounter every day.
What the course covers:
- Knowledge areas
- Core skills
- Study options
- Mock trials
- Master of Laws (LLM)
There are 12 assessments in total with practice assessments held for every module spread across the course. Prizes, sponsored by chambers, are available for the highest-scoring student in each subject.
BPTC LLM assessment
You will keep a reflective journal throughout the year about your pro bono work, and then submit your Critical Reflective Review at the end of the course.
Fees vary depending on study location; see course page for more details.
Course fees are the same for the full-time and part-time LPC programme.
|Qualification||Study mode||Fee status||Fee||Study period||Duration|
|Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC)||Full-time||Home/EU||Whole course||10 months|
|Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC)||Part-time||Home/EU||Whole course||2 years|
Get in touch today and increase your future employability