Education (Music Education)
* Deepen your understanding of the theoretical and contextual issues related to music teaching and evaluate aspects of your practice
* Benefit from a wide choice of modules that explore education, as well as specifically musical interests
* Modules include: choral education, music technology and musical cognition
* Based in our purpose-built Music Education Department
* Designed to be flexible
**Education at Reading**
Our Institute of Education is an established leading provider of high-quality training and research in education. In the most recent Research Excellence Framework assessment (2014), 80% of our research was rated as world leading or internationally excellent, with a global impact on educational policy and practice.
Our passion for transforming lives through education is at the heart of our commitment to developing caring, reflective, professional educational practitioners. Our networks and the impact of our work are both local and global. Locally, we have well-established partnerships with over 300 schools, which we work closely with to train the next generation of outstanding teachers. Globally, our research, consultancy and other projects extend to countries as varied as China, Jamaica, the USA and Singapore.
At master's level, we offer a broad range of courses including a flexible MA Education with specialised pathways; certificates in Early Years Practice, Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) and Reflective Practice; and an extensive range of teacher training courses with first-rate placements. Additionally, we co-deliver an MA English Language Education course with Guangdong University of Foreign Studies.
You are normally required to have a good first or second class honours degree (or equivalent from a university outside the UK). Apart from the standard university entry requirements, we normally expect students to have a professional background in education and training with experience of teaching. Ideally we would like students to have had at least two years' experience of teaching/training but will consider applications from good students with at least one year's experience. If you have a slightly lower degree qualification than usual, this can be compensated for by good teaching experience.
IELTS: 6.5 overall with no element less than 6.0 (or equivalent).
Sample modules may include:
* Values and practices in education: an overview of key philosophical, social, cultural and political debates about education
* Investigating education: provides both theoretical and practical knowledge to support educational research and enquiry
* Musical development, appraisal and assessment: focuses on how we learn in music and how this can be assessed. Module reviews a range of innovative practices in the teaching of music in the 21st century and new ways of thinking about the application of music and technology in schools.
* Musical leadership in school and community: we investigate the value of community and amateur music making in terms of its contribution to social capital and the social dynamic of informal music groups. We assess the role of the director in leading these ensembles, with an emphasis on choral conducting
* Improving teaching and learning: enables students to explore an aspect of teaching and learning practice and to evaluate this in light of research evidence
Check our website for more details of the course structure.
These course fees cover the cost of your tuition. Some courses will require additional payments for field trips and extra resources. You will also need to budget for your accommodation and living costs.
For part-time fees please contact the university.
|Qualification||Study mode||Start month||Fee||Fee locale||Course duration|
|MA||Full-time||£ 7,180 (Academic year)||Home/EU||12 Months|
|MA||Full-time||£ 15,270 (Academic year)||International||12 Months|
|MA||Part-time||Home/EU||12 63 Months|
|MA||Part-time||International||12 63 Months|
|MA||Part-time||September 2018||15,650 (Whole course)||International||63 63 Months|
|MA||Full-time||September 2018||7,360 (Whole course)||Home/EU||12 12 Months|
|MA||Part-time||September 2018||7,360 (Whole course)||Home/EU||63 63 Months|
|MA||Full-time||September 2018||15,650 (Whole course)||International||12 12 Months|
Get in touch today and increase your future employability