The Guardian UK 300: top charity and not-for-profit employers
…as voted for by students and graduates
The Guardian UK 300 features the largest and most comprehensive annual survey of student opinion on graduate careers, employers and their own job hunts. The survey determines not only the most popular 300 graduate employers in the UK overall, but also the most popular graduate employers in a range of career sectors, including the charity and not-for-profit sectors.
The top graduate employers in the charity and not-for-profit sector are listed in the table below. Strikingly, there are two new entrants into the top ten this year – English Heritage and Action for Children – and, while Amnesty International remains the most popular charity, Oxfam falls from second place to fifth.
Students interested in careers with charities and in the not-for-profit sector…
- were more likely than average to have completed work, study or voluntary activities abroad: 51% of final year students and 47% of penultimate years had, versus an average of 46% and 42% respectively
- rated diversity/equal opportunities and corporate social responsibility (CSR) more highly when choosing employers than students interested in all other sectors: 59% of students thought ‘diversity/equal opportunities’ was a ‘very important’ factor and 34% thought the same about ‘CSR’
- were less interested in a high starting salary than average: just 56% of students interested in this sector rated it as ‘important’ or ‘very important’, while 70% was the average across all sectors.*
*Statistics have been rounded.
Over 73,500 undergraduates took part in the trendence Graduate Survey, which formed the basis of the results in The Guardian UK 300.
|2||WWF (World Wildlife Fund for Nature)||3||up|
|3||British Red Cross||4||up|
|4||Save the Children||5||up|
|6||Cancer Research UK||6||same|
|10||Action for Children||NEW||-|
More help from TARGETjobs
- Specialist advice on graduate careers in public service, charity and social work
- Get the Inside Buzz on graduate recruiters: graduate and intern employer reviews