Environment Graduate Scheme 2019 - Infrastructure
We deliver innovative solutions to some of the biggest water and environmental challenges of our time. So, we’re looking to develop the skills of the industry experts of the future. Our specialisms include geo-environmental engineering, contaminated land, water management, flood management, waste management, air quality, environmental impact assessments and urban design. This means varied careers for our environmental scientists and engineers, ecologists, hydrogeologists and acousticians.
We offer a world of opportunities from the projects you’ll work on to the directions you can take your career in. Whatever your ambitions, we’ve a role to match your passion and degree.
What you’ll be doing
Learning to become a future business leader, you’ll get involved with activities in one of these specialist teams:
Our award-winning ecology experts combine technical excellence with a pragmatic approach. Biodiversity and our clients benefit from our innovations. Our clients, both in the UK and worldwide, include national and local governments, leading developers, transport, energy and water providers and international funding agencies. The dynamic and influential relationship between our ecology team and our engineering, planning and design colleagues combined with the support of our unique in-house Academy system provide exceptional opportunities for graduate ecologists to develop both their technical and commercial skills.
Acoustics, Air and Emissions
We are a close-knit and dynamic team of acousticians and air quality consultants based in the UK. Our team has a strong ethos of technical excellence, innovation and ongoing development of its staff. In response to a strong forward outlook in our UK and overseas markets, we are continuing to recruit acoustic and air quality graduates who can help to grow and shape our business, which has been in consultancy for more than 50 years. Working as a graduate in the Acoustics team, you will be responsible for undertaking acoustic surveys and assessments for exciting infrastructure projects in the UK and overseas. You will have a sound working knowledge of the relevant Standards and Guidelines as well as relevant experience of acoustic monitoring techniques and modelling software. As a graduate working in the Air Quality team, you will get involved in a number of activities including; undertaking desk and field based air quality, dust and odour impact assessments for planning applications, emissions calculations and dispersion modelling, air quality action planning, mitigation design, specialist services for environmental permit applications and Environmental Impact Assessments.
Water Management Consultancy
Operating at the interface between people and the water environment, we work with our clients in the UK and around the world in providing innovative design solutions, research and advisory services for a sustainable future. Our key services include: water resources and water quality planning; flood risk management and hydraulic flood modelling, hydrogeology and hydrology; integrated catchment management; aquatic ecology, hydromorphology; river restoration; climate futures and resilience; environmental, hydraulic and civil engineering; coastal and marine environmental management; environmental and economic appraisal; regulation and assurance; strategic asset management; data analytics. We are at the forefront of new developments for the Water Industry and have created new tools and approaches that are revolutionising how we plan for resilient and sustainable water management for the future. We need you to help us build on this success.
Planning & Environmental Consenting
Through the successful delivery of planning and environmental consents we help our clients make the right decisions in a complex and fast-paced world in order to realise the value in their assets. Our expertise in policy, regulation and delivery allows us to influence regulators and decision makers, ensuring that we deliver sustainable and positive client outcomes across markets both in the UK and overseas. Here you’ll make a big impact across a range of services including; planning; development consent orders, economics, environmental impact assessment, stakeholder engagement, environmental management, environmental permitting, heritage, carbon and sustainability and waste and resource management. Your ideas and knowledge will help our customers to make the most of their assets and minimise their environmental impact.
Contaminated Land & Hydrogeology
The Contaminated Land and Hydrogeology Practice is a well-established multi-disciplinary environmental and engineering practice with an extensive portfolio of projects. We have a number of national frameworks and have considerable experience working with numerous local authorities on due diligence and peer review projects and private clients/developers on the investigation, assessment, remediation and redevelopment of brownfield land. We are looking for highly motivated graduates to work on risk assessments, brownfield land regeneration, regulatory engagement, project management and to help deliver the high standard of geo-environmental consultancy services for which we are renowned.
Where you’ll be based
- Ecology – Derby, Glasgow and Warrington
- Acoustics, Air and Emissions - Epsom and Warrington
- Water Management Consultancy – As we work across a range of office locations, we can be flexible to the right candidate. Our offices include; Epsom, Oxford, Peterborough, Warrington, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Bristol, Swansea and Derby
- Planning and Environmental Consenting - Belfast, Birmingham, Bristol, Epsom, Glasgow, London, Warrington and York
- Contaminated Land & Hydrogeology (CLAH) - Birmingham, Edinburgh, Epsom/London and Whitehaven
Who we’re looking for
- Talented graduates with a 2.1 degree or above in environmental science, ecology, hydrology, flood risk or a relevant scientific, design or engineering discipline
- Confident working on your own initiative and as part of multidisciplinary teams
- A good communicator who can collaborate with a variety of colleagues and become a trusted customer adviser
- Someone who can analyse problems, create innovative solutions and make sound decisions in a competitive and commercial environment
- Keen attention to detail and the drive to keep on learning
- Applicants might also hold a relevant MSc or PhD
- Skills in computer programming and modelling are particularly welcomed.
Rewards and Benefits
If you join us you will be working on some of the most challenging engineering projects of our time, helping to shape the future of Infrastructure. You will have opportunities to work closely with clients, spending time within their organisations and taking learning from some of the most experienced engineers in the industry. Our 3-year flexible graduate scheme promises to give you the support you need to develop your technical, commercial and consultancy skills. Some of our benefits, to name a few, include:
- A settling in payment of £2,500 when you join – paid within the first month
- Continuous support and mentoring to achieve chartered status with your chosen institution, funded by Atkins. With a chartership bonus of £2,500 once complete
- A robust career development plan, including a library of core learning modules and on the job technical training
- 25 days’ annual leave, plus bank holidays, with the option to buy up to 15 additional days per year
- 2 volunteer days per year for you to use for a cause that matters to you
- Assigned graduate buddy upon joining and a strong graduate network across all locations
- Various annual events, such as our 2-day graduate induction, ski trips, away weekends and team building activities.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please select the ‘Apply for this job’ button below.
Our deadline for applications is Wednesday 2nd January 2019. Some of our programmes are incredibly popular, to avoid disappointment (where some roles may close earlier) we recommend you apply as soon as possible. For further details on our recruitment process please refer to our website.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (or in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.