Graduate schemes and graduate training
Graduate schemes and graduate training programmes are offered by many large employers. They typically last a year, but some extend to 18 months or even two years. It's the defined time frame and structure that normally distinguishes a graduate scheme or programme from the wider class of 'graduate job', which is the catch all term for entry-level roles that require people with graduate level education.
A single employer can run more than one type of training programme within their organisation. For example, investment banks typically run separate streams for their operations, sales and trading, investment banking and technology roles, among others.
Engineering employers can run a management programmes or finance schemes alongside their engineering training. Accountancy and professional services firms will specialise in training graduates in particular areas of work such as tax, audit, assurance or advisory.
Graduate employers promote their graduate jobs, schemes and training opportunities on targetjobs.co.uk and in sector-focused careers publications like TARGETjobs City & Finance and TARGETjobs Engineering. These publications can be picked up free from most university careers services or departments, or you can download the latest editions on our graduate careers publications page.
Employers offering graduate schemes are very active on campus during the autumn and spring terms.
Employers offering training programmes are also very active on campus during the autumn and spring terms, taking part in graduate recruitment fairs and hosting employer presentations and events. (Graduate recruiters doing the ‘rounds’ of universities to promote their opportunities and meet with candidates has traditionally been called the ‘milkround’.)
Graduate schemes enable new recruits to settle quickly into a professional work environment, receive relevant skills development and get hands on experience, either working in a specific role within an established team, or through working on a number of assignments in different areas of the organisation over the duration of the programme. If an employer has a large graduate intake, it is more than likely that you will have opportunity to network and socialise with your peers.
The golden rule of graduate schemes: apply early, even if the employer has an 'open' or 'ongoing' recruitment process.
You may have opportunities to work overseas or at different locations in the UK, or you may be based in one place. If you would prefer not to travel and you like a regular home life make sure you are aware of how much mobility is expected when you consider careers and employers.
Training in career areas such as engineering, accountancy, human resources, law, construction, management and property is often accredited by a relevant professional association. This type of support will assist you in qualifying to practise professionally.
The majority of training schemes have application deadlines between November and December for programmes starting the following September/October. You need to do your employer research and be ready to apply early during the first term of your final year.
An increasing number of employers have ‘ongoing’ or ‘open’ recruitment processes meaning that, in principle, they take applications year round. Despite this seeming flexibility, you are still advised to apply early. While these recruiters don’t give a hard and fast deadline, they may make offers from the start of the application period and they may close their scheme once they have filled all their vacancies. Some employers do give a specific closing date, but also state that they will close their recruiting process as soon as they have filled their spaces. KPMG is an example of this.
For recruitment success, make sure you’re clued-up on the applications and interview methods used by employers (check out our employer hubs for employers with tips to get hired). Many large graduate employers use online application systems to sort prospective candidates for their schemes and training opportunities. If your application is successful you may then be invited to an assessment centre or interview. Be prepared for psychometric tests – they can crop up in online applications and at interviews and assessments.
Accountancy and financial management and financial services and insurance graduate schemes and programmes
- Financial Conduct Authority supervision graduate programme 29 November (UK 300 employer)
- AIG graduate programme 29 November
- BNP Paribas graduate analyst programe 2016 – trading 30 November (UK 300 employer)
- AXA global actuarial graduate programme 30 November (UK 300 employer)
- Marshall Wace graduate programme 30 November
- Kraft Heinz European trainee programme 1 December (UK 300 employer)
- Home Retail Group finance graduate scheme 4 December
- CBRE ACA trainee accountant roles 7 December
- Royal Bank of Scotland core functions – finance graduate programme 10 December
- McGraw Hill Financial CREDit programme 13 December
- BGL Group finance graduate programme 18 December
- Royal Bank of Scotland core functions − finance graduate programme 18 December (UK 300 employer)
- London Stock Exchange Group graduate programme 20 December
Banking and investment banking graduate schemes and programmes
- Deutsche Bank graduate programme 27 November (UK 300 employer)
Civil and structural engineering graduate schemes and programmes
- WSP - Parsons Brinckerhoff 2016 graduate intake 30 November
Consumer goods graduate schemes and programmes
- Pernod Ricard UK graduate commercial scheme 27 November
- Kerry Group operations graduate scheme 27 November (UK 300 employer)
- Warburtons supply chain graduate programme 30 November
- Kimberly-Clark supply chain graduate programme 2016 11 December (UK 300 employer)
- Fuller's graduate development programme 13 December
Engineering graduate training schemes and programmes
- Nestlé UK Ltd engineering graduate programme (electrical and automation) 30 November (UK 300 employer)
- E.ON engineering schemes 30 November (UK 300 employer)
- Airbus Group graduate programme 30 November (UK 300 employer)
- Tata Steel graduate programme 30 November
- Max Fordham LLP graduate engineer vacancies 30 November
- Telstra international graduate programme – based in Hong Kong and Singapore 4 December
- Network Rail electrical/electronic engineering graduate programme 13 December (UK 300 employer)
- Tarmac graduate programme 16 December
- FirstGroup engineering graduate management programme 27 December (UK 300 employer)
Human resources graduate training schemes and programmes
- Marks & Spencer human resources graduate programme 11 December (UK 300 employer)
IT and technology graduate training schemes and programmes
- BT network engineering scheme 25 November (UK 300 employer)
- Bank of America 2016 full-time technology analyst programme (UK 300 employer)
- Morgan Stanley technology analyst role 6 December (UK 300 employer)
- Thomson Reuters technology graduate scheme 23 December (UK 300 employer)
Management and business graduate schemes and programmes
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car graduate management training programme 30 November
- Fidelity International business management graduate programme 1 December (UK 300 employer)
Management consulting graduate training schemes and programmes
- Oliver Wyman consultant role 13 December
Marketing, advertising and PR graduate training schemes and programmes
- Marks & Spencer marketing graduate programme 27 November (UK 300 employer)
Property graduate training schemes and programmes
- Knight Frank graduate scheme 27 November
- Crest Nicholson graduate programme 27 November
- Goldcrest graduate land development programme 30 November
- BNP Paribas Real Estate commercial graduate programme 7 December
- Capita Real Estate graduate surveyor role 13 December
Public service, charity and social work graduate training schemes and programmes
- The Army army officer roles 30 November
- Civil Service Fast Stream Houses of Parliament programme 30 November (UK 300 employer)
- NHS general management graduate development scheme 7 December (UK 300 employer)
Retail graduate schemes and programmes
- Lidl assistant store manager role 8 December (UK 300 employer)
Sales graduate schemes and programmes
- RB commercial (sales/marketing) graduate development scheme 25 November
- Dyson graduate sales leadership programme 4 December (UK 300 employer)
- Express Vending graduate sales and marketing training programme (UK 300 employer)
This is just a selection of what you can apply for on targetjobs.co.uk just now. To find more, go to the graduate job search. You can find out more about the UK's most popular graduate employers in a range of career sectors from our UK 300 pages.