Who we are
Amey is a leading infrastructure services and engineering company. We are at the heart of modern Britain, helping the economy to grow by designing, maintaining and transforming the nation’s strategic assets. Our 14,000 people are behind the critical services the country relies on every day and we each take personal pride in our public service. Our unique engineering and operations experience, together with data-driven insight from our consulting business, delivers better results for our clients. We are trusted partners of Government – both national and local – managing assets and complex projects that are vital to the sustainable growth of the country.
We embrace difference and give you the freedom to perform because we know, if nothing holds you back, together we can deliver the exceptional for our clients, our communities, and our planet. It’s the reason why Investors in People put us among the top 1% of employers.
We're ranked first in the ENEI (Employers Network for Equality & Inclusion) rankings for the construction and engineering industries and we were the first business of our kind to achieve Leaders in Diversity status across all of our business areas. This success is down to our award-winning 'embracing difference inclusion strategy' with key elements such as our employee Affinity groups (women, pride, multicultural, neurodiversity, ability and armed forces), inclusion ambassadors, policy reviews, being a disability-confident employer and enhancing our flexible working offering.
Our rewards make us feel valued here at Amey. If you’re happy, you’ll think better. It’s a simple formula but one that puts your well-being as a top priority, that’s why we’ve worked hard to build a reward and benefits program that puts you first, including:
- Exceptional development and progression plan
- 24 Days annual leave + Bank Holidays, Pension Scheme
- Choices: Our flexible benefits scheme is tailored by you, including buying additional annual leave, cycle2work scheme, charity giving and gym membership
- Save with Amey: Our online voucher portal gives you access to thousands of discounts from leading retailers to help you save on days out, or nights in
- Social Value: You’ll get 2 Community Involvement Days each year to volunteer for a charity of your choice and further opportunities to support fundraising initiatives for CRUK, or where eligible, participate in the DofE Gold Award
Our Recruitment Process
We appreciate that recruitment applications, for some, can be a new or daunting experience, which is why we try to make ours as simple, transparent, and as engaging as possible.
We genuinely believe it should be a two-way relationship, enabling us both to make the best decisions possible and it’s at the heart of our recruitment ethos.
- Step 1 - Follow the link to apply and answer a few simple questions so that we can ensure that you meet our essential initial criteria. We try to keep these to a minimum so please ensure that you qualify before applying.
- Step 2 - Those who meet our initial criteria, will be asked to take part in our online, game-based behavioural assessment. Yes, we did say “Game-based”! Whilst our assessment is underpinned by serious behavioural science, we want you to relax, be yourself and enjoy our recruitment process. Upon completion, you’ll automatically receive a free personal profile to help you understand your natural behaviours better!
- Step 3 - After comparing your natural behaviours with those required for the role, you’ll be invited to either an informal online briefing or a 1-2-1 discussion, where you’ll learn more about the specific role you applied for and get a feel for what life is really like at Amey, directly from members of that team.
- Step 4 - If we are both still excited about each other, those identified with the closest matching natural behaviours will be invited to either an interview or Assessment Centre, where you’ll meet members of our team, have a Strengths-Based interview and take part in an interactive team activity with fellow applicants.
- Step 5 - Regardless of the outcome we provide individual feedback to those who reach our interview/assessment centre stage.
We want our recruitment approach to be as inclusive as possible, enabling you to be able to perform at your best at each stage of our recruitment process. We can make adjustments to support this, so whether you consider yourself to have a disability or not, if at any stage of our recruitment process, you require assistance, please let us know and we will be happy to help.
Cultures and values
We are committed to developing the full range of talent at Amey and giving everyone the opportunity to shine. Developing and engaging our 14,000-strong team and giving them the freedom to perform is a key priority. It allows individuals to thrive and ensures that we deliver the best results for our clients and customers.
OUR FREEDOM TO PERFORM
Freedom to Perform supports our employees to achieve the best for themselves, our business and our customers. It encourages individuals and teams to innovate and to work both creatively and collaboratively, forging the right partnerships – whether in-house or with business partners, academia or third-sector organisations – to deliver the very best outcomes for our customers and clients.
Freedom to Perform is underpinned by a framework of three guiding principles.
- Empower – giving our people the freedom to make decisions and take responsibility for outcomes
- Engage – involving our people in decision-making and supporting them to take ownership of delivery
- Excel – ensuring that teams and individuals across Amey’s business are free to perform at their best by removing barriers, supporting the development and fostering a can-do attitude
Equality and diversity
We're all individuals, yet we’re very much one, united team. We know we can still do more to support and celebrate inclusion and we’re determined to be the example others admire.
We treat everyone fairly, no matter your gender, sexual orientation, background, age or disability, and give everyone the opportunities for new and varied experiences.
We're ranked first in the ENEI (Employers Network for Equality & Inclusion) rankings for the construction and engineering industries and we were the first business of our kind to achieve Leaders in Diversity status across all of our business areas.
This success is down to our award-winning 'embracing difference inclusion strategy' with key elements such as our employee Affinity groups (women, pride, multicultural, neurodiversity, ability and armed forces), inclusion ambassadors, policy reviews and enhancing our flexible working offering.
Our multicultural affinity network enables conversations about race and provides a place where employees can ask questions and raise issues without fear. We support Black History Month and Race Equality Week and have taken part in the Race Equality Matters initiative Safe Space, a facilitated dialogue between senior leaders and employees representing ethnic minorities, discussing the reality of what it’s like in our workplaces and identifying what needs to be changed. We also provide Equality, Diversity and Inclusion training and awareness, and ‘What is privilege anyway?’ development session to all employees. We are also signed up to #10000BlackInterns. We’re signed up to the Race Equality Charter and in January 2022 published our first-ever ethnicity pay gap report shows that our ethnicity median pay gap is better than the national average which is good news but we recognise there is more to do and continue to have a focus on addressing race equality in the workplace.
We have inspirational women working at every level of our business – it’s a good start, but it’s not good enough. We’re working fiercely to draw more women into our ranks, to support them through progression, and to keep them at Amey for as long as we can by creating an environment that helps them thrive. This will make an impact for generations to come in industries such as engineering, where the proportion of women is sadly very low. Our Women@Amey Learning Development Programme helps women to take the next step in their careers and become future Amey leaders. The network promotes STEM careers to young women working with schools, colleges, universities and girl guiding groups.
When you come to work, we want you to be yourself and feel empowered to express your ideas. Our Pride network gives everyone a voice because we value everyone at Amey. We build an environment that's safe and inclusive of lesbian, gay, bi, and trans people and their allies. The group takes part in Pride across the UK and hosts online social and learning events. We give everyone a voice, considering every perspective and catering to every need in the LGBTA (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and allies) community.
As a Disability Confident organisation, we're playing our role in changing attitudes for the better. We’re changing our behaviour and culture in our own business, networks and communities, and seeing the benefits of inclusive recruitment. We’re challenging attitudes towards disability. To help you smash through the barriers between you and your dream job, we’ll guarantee you an interview if you have a disability – as long as you’re qualified for the role. We’ve signed up for the UK government’s Disability Confident Scheme and we work with other employers too.
So not only can you trust us to help you start a rewarding career here, but you can also expect all the support you need to make the most of it.
As part of our recruitment approach at Amey, we do not ask for or accept CVs or Cover letters for our Early Careers role. We want our approach to be as inclusive as possible so we will ask you a series of closed questions to ensure you meet the minimum criteria for the role on offer. As long as you meet the minimum criteria of the role, your application will be progressed to the next stage. You can find out more about our approach on Our recruitment approach on our website.
We aren’t currently hiring
Follow us to be notified as soon as we post new jobs & opportunities.