- Addleshaw Goddard – Training contract 2021; Scotland training contract
- Bristows – Training contract 2021
- Dentons – Training contract 2021 - law applicants
- Gibson Dunn – Training contract 2021
- K&L Gates LLP – Training contract 2021
- Macfarlanes LLP – Training contract
- Mayer Brown International LLP – Training contract
- Mills & Reeve LLP – Training contract 2021
- Penningtons Manches LLP – Training contract 2021
- Stephenson Harwood LLP – Training contract
- Travers Smith LLP – Training contract – September 2021 and March 2022
- Trowers & Hamlins LLP – Trainee solicitor
- White & Case LLP – Trainee solicitor 2021/2022
See the following law firms' websites for details of their training contract deadlines
- DWF LLP – Training contract
- Dechert LLP – Training contract
- Freeths LLP – Flexible graduate scheme
- Government Legal Profession – Annual Legal Trainee Scheme
Aspiring trainee solicitors planning to start their training contracts or 'period of recognised training' in 2021 need to apply in 2019. Those on a law degree need to plan ahead and submit polished online applications at the end of your second year. If successful, the upside is you'll go into your final year with a graduate job all lined up plus, in some cases, sponsorship from your law firm for the legal practice course or LPC.
Of course, 50% of trainees come from a non-law background and complete the graduate diploma in law (or GDL) conversion course before starting the LPC. Most of these law firms accept training contract applications from final-year, non-law undergraduates by this key date too, but it varies from firm to firm so do check the online profiles above.
It's worth noting that smaller, niche and high street firms tend to recruit closer to trainees' start dates, such as Kennedys.
Applying well before the deadline is recommended
Word of warning: many commercial firms start sending out invites to assessment centres and interviews before their training contract deadline so it's worth being organised, checking firms' websites for more details and submitting your application well before the deadline if you can.
Massive changes to the way solicitors qualify are on the horizon. Do you know how they will affect you? Find out here.