TARGETjobs black logo
Training to teach in Northern Ireland

Training to teach in Northern Ireland

You apply directly to institutions for postgraduate teacher training in Northern Ireland. Kirsty Osman from Cardiff University helps you to explore your options with an overview of qualification requirements and list of course providers and PGCEs.

This article has been written in partnership with AGCAS.

There are two main routes into teaching in Northern Ireland:

  • The 'concurrent' route, which involves completion of a Bachelors of Education (BEd).
  • The 'consecutive' route, which consists of a first degree and a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE).

It is compulsory to have a recognised teacher training qualification in order to gain a permanent teaching post in a primary or post-primary (secondary) school in Northern Ireland (NI). Candidates must satisfy 'fitness to teach' requirements and be checked by Access NI before entering schools, similar to the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks in England and Wales.

Teachers wishing to take up a post in a grant-aided school in NI must have eligibility to teach and be registered with the General Teaching Council for Northern Ireland (GTCNI). Those who trained outside Northern Ireland must apply to the GTCNI to have their qualifications approved prior to registration.

Candidates apply directly to individual institutions and you should contact institutions for application forms and course details. Application deadlines for NI institutions are generally in November and December; see course providers' websites for specific details. Competition for places is high and there are no shortage or priority subjects reported in Northern Ireland

PGCE courses in Northern Ireland

The following institutions provide initial teacher education in Northern Ireland:

Queen's University Belfast offers:

  • One-year PGCE post-primary courses in English, mathematics, science, modern languages, religious education, social sciences and information technology or computing.

Ulster University (Coleraine) offers:

  • A one-year PGCE primary course.
  • A one-year PGCE post-primary course for university graduates holding relevant degrees. Subject specialisms include art and design, English with drama and media studies, geography, history, home economics, music, physical education and technology and design.

St Mary’s University College Belfast offers:

  • A one-year PGCE primary course for teaching in Irish-medium schools.
  • PGCE post-primary courses – Queen’s University Belfast and Ulster University have partnered with St Mary’s University College to offer an Irish medium (IME) option for students wanting to become teachers in Irish medium in post-primary schools. This option is available for all their post-primary PGCE courses, and on completion of the PGCE students also receive a Certificate in Bilingual Education.
  • Four-year BEd courses in both primary and post-primary teaching.

Stranmillis University College offers:

  • A one-year PGCE in early years education (ages 3–8).
  • Four-year BEd courses in both primary and post-primary teaching.

Teaching in further education

The two main routes to becoming a further education college lecturer in Northern Ireland are:

With an existing teaching qualification.

You can become an FE lecturer if you hold a recognised existing teaching qualification at the time of application. You can see the full list of qualifications required to teach in institutions of further education on the Department for the Economy's list of qualifications required to teach in institutions of further education. A PGCE (FE) gained elsewhere in the UK is not currently recognised by FE colleges in Northern Ireland.

Qualifying while in service

Alternatively, you can take an 'in-service' PGCE (FE) qualification. If you meet the minimum subject and experience requirements, you can be appointed by a further education college on the understanding that you complete a part-time PGCE (FE) teaching qualification within three years of appointment. The minimum requirements are:

  • A university degree obtained in the UK or the Republic of Ireland (or one deemed by the department to be equivalent to this) or a qualification in the specialist area in which you wish to teach, with at least three years of relevant industrial, professional or business experience.
  • An English GCSE (grade A–C) or essential skills level 2 (or higher) in communication.
  • A maths GCSE (grade A–C), essential skills level 2 (or higher) in numeracy, or NICATS Access maths modules.

When you have passed the PGCE (FE) you can apply for registration with the General Teaching Council for Northern Ireland.

Colleges occasionally appoint part-time hourly paid lecturers, often for specialist courses of short duration. Currently, there is no requirement for those teaching fewer than eight hours per week to have gained, or be gaining, the PGCE (FE), unless they are teaching Essential Skills. Colleges in Northern Ireland often hold a 'register' of part-time hourly paid lecturers so it may be worth contacting the college directly to request your name is added to the register.

Funding for teacher training in Northern Ireland

Funding for students from Northern Ireland is similar to that for students from England although there are some small differences. See the Student Finance NI website for more information or call their helpline on 0300 100 0077.

Written by Kirsty Osman, Cardiff University

Copyright / Disclaimer
AGCAS logo

In Partnership


Supported by

This describes editorially independent and objective content, written and edited by the GTI content team, with which the organisation would like to be associated and has provided some funding in order to be so. Any external contributors featuring in the article are independent from the supporter organisation and contributions are in line with our non-advertorial policy.

Advertising feature by

This describes content that has been written and edited in close collaboration with the organisation, who has funded the feature; it is advertising. We are committed to upholding our ethical values of transparency and honesty when dealing with students and feel that this is the best way not to deceive consumers of our content. The content will be written by GTI editors, but the organisation will have had input into the messaging, provided knowledge and contributors and approved the content.

In Partnership

This content has been written or sourced by AGCAS, the Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services, and edited by TARGETjobs as part of a content partnership. AGCAS provides impartial information and guidance resources for higher education student career development and graduate employment professionals.