Corporate firms such as Deloitte have a strong presence and run graduate schemes in accounting and consulting. The Spinningfields business and retail district is also fast becoming the Canary Wharf of the north, populated by graduate recruiters such as the Royal Bank of Scotland and HSBC.
Graduate opportunities in creative industries such as design and publishing also exist in Manchester, and with the BBC’s relocation to nearby Salford Quays, its media presence is set to grow.
The University of Manchester is a member of the Russell Group. It excels in a wide range of subjects such as English, pharmacy, computer science and chemical engineering.
Manchester Metropolitan University rates highly in areas including events management, social work and design.
- Deloitte, Manchester (Accounting and finance; Business consulting)
- Rothschild, Manchester (Finance)
- Irwin Mitchell LLP, Manchester (Law)
- Kellogg’s, Manchester (Retail)
- One Marketing Communications, Sale (Digital communications; PR; Advertising; Marketing)
- The Co-operative Group, Manchester (Management; Finance; Pharmacy)
- Accenture, Manchester (Management consulting)
- MEN Media, Manchester (Finance; Sales; Media)
- RBS Group, Manchester (Banking and finance)
- United Utilities, Warrington (Engineering; Logistics; Management)
(Note: these employers may not be currently recruiting. Their names have been provided as a guideline to the type of work available and what areas to look in.)
It’s on the map for…
- Home of Manchester United FC
- UK’s largest gay population outside London, plus the huge Pride festival
- Exciting music scene – home of Northern Soul and bands like Oasis and Happy Mondays
It’s within commuting distance of…
- Sale – 7 miles
- Warrington – 20 miles
- Liverpool – 34 miles
Browse regional vacancies and work experience opportunities on TARGETjobs
Browse vacancies and graduate jobs in the north west