The service sector is the most significant employer in the area, predominantly in areas such as HR, administration, health and education. Swansea NHS and the Welsh Assembly Government are major graduate employers in these fields.
The automotive industry is another substantial employer in the area, with careers in manufacturing, engineering and technology. Retailers such as Sainsbury’s, Marks & Spencer, and Tesco are also popular, recruiting graduates for entry-level roles in customer service, logistics and management.
Swansea University’s beautiful coastal location has made it a firm favourite with students. It has also won awards for the best student experience in the UK and boasts an impressive range of sporting facilities available for the use of all students. Highly rated research areas include history, physics, general engineering and biological sciences.
University of Wales Trinity Saint David has had a campus in Swansea since merging with Swansea Metropolitan University in 2013. There are plans underway to create a vibrant Waterfront Innovation Quarter situated in a modern waterfront location with easy access to the city centre.
- Swansea City and County Council, Swansea (Public sector)
- Dawnus Construction Ltd., Swansea (Engineering; Construction)
- Admiral Group plc, Swansea (Sales; Customer service)
- Calsonic Kansei, Llanelli (Engineering; Technology; Research)
- Swansea University, Swansea (Education; Research)
- NHS Swansea, Swansea (Healthcare; Management; HR; IT)
- Welsh Assembly Government, Swansea (Public sector; Translation; Media)
- Crown Prosecution Service, South Wales, Cardiff (Law; Finance)
- Virgin Media, Swansea (Customer service; Marketing)
- BT Group plc, Swansea (Marketing; Finance; Law; HR)
(Note: these employers may not be currently recruiting. Their names have been provided as a guideline to the type of work available and what areas to look in.)
It’s on the map for…
- Birthplace of Welsh delicacy lava bread
- A wealth of museums, including the popular Dylan Thomas Centre
- Home to one of Wales’ most famous landmarks: the historic Mumbles Pier
It’s within commuting distance of…
- Bridgend – 24 miles
- Cardiff – 42 miles
- Newport – 52 miles
Browse vacancies and work experience opportunities on TARGETjobs
Browse vacancies and graduate jobs in Wales