Graduate careers in Birmingham
Historically, Birmingham was known as the ‘workshop of the world’ and was home to pioneers of industry and science. Two hundred years later, it remains a major centre for manufacturing and engineering, thanks to big name automotive manufacturers such as Jaguar Land Rover.
Many banks, law firms and insurance companies are also based in the city, working with local and international clients. Thanks to recent major redevelopment of the city centre, Birmingham’s service industry is a popular graduate destination too.
Students at the University of Birmingham come from 150 different countries and of these over 9,000 are postgraduates. The employability prospects of postgraduate students are excellent.
Aston University is renowned for its business-related subjects, while Birmingham City University has been recognised as a ‘rising star’ research institution. University College Birmingham is another institution that is gaining increasing prestige.
- Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co, Birmingham (Law)
- BBC, Birmingham (Media)
- Birmingham City Council, Birmingham (Public sector)
- Cadbury, Birmingham (Food technology)
- DWF LLP, Birmingham (Law)
- Grant Thornton, Birmingham (Accounting and finance)
- Jacobs Engineering Group, Birmingham (Engineering)
- TRW, Birmingham (Engineering)
- KPMG, Birmingham (Accounting and finance)
- Pinsent Masons, Birmingham (Law)
(Note: these companies may not be currently recruiting. Their names have been provided as a guideline to the type of work available and what areas to look in.)
It’s on the map for…
- Bullring – UK’s busiest shopping centre
- Hosting some of the world's finest bands and orchestras in its vast indoor venues
- Warwickshire County Cricket Ground at Edgbaston
It’s within commuting distance of…
- Coventry – 19 miles
- Warwick – 25 miles
- Stratford-upon-Avon – 32 miles
Browse regional vacancies and work experience opportunities on TARGETjobs
Browse vacancies and graduate jobs in the West Midlands