In a plan to secure its economic future, Carlisle’s council aims to increase the city’s population considerably over the next 20 years. The public sector is a major employment sector in Carlisle, with the city council and university attracting graduates seeking roles in education and administration.
Positions may also be available in knowledge-based industries: the Sellafield Nuclear Power Plant in nearby Seascale runs graduate training schemes in various areas including design, plant engineering, manufacturing and IT support.
A young institution, the University of Cumbria was formed in 2007 and encompasses St Martin’s College and Cumbria Institute of the Arts. There are two main faculties: education, arts and business; and health and science. Well regarded postgraduate courses include education, agriculture, and art and design.
- Carlisle City Council, Carlisle (Public sector)
- Cavaghan & Gray, Carlisle (Manufacturing; Sales; HR)
- Stobart Group plc, Carlisle (Transport; Logistics)
- Carrs Milling Industries plc, Carlisle (Agriculture; Engineering)
- Edwin Thompson Chartered Surveyors, Carlisle (Surveying; Engineering)
- University of Cumbria, Carlisle (Education)
- H & H Insurance, Carlisle (Financial services)
- Sellafield Ltd, Seascale (Engineering; Manufacturing)
- Cumberland Building Society, Carlisle (Finance)
- Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, Carlisle (Public sector; Healthcare; HR)
(Note: these companies may not be currently recruiting. Their names have been provided as a guideline to the type of work available and what areas to look in.)
It’s on the map for…
- Its beautiful castle and cathedral…
- Being historically used as a base to defend the north of England from Scotland
- Being within easy reach of the Lake District
It’s within commuting distance of…
- Dumfries – 36 miles
- Kendal – 47 miles
- Seascale – 52 miles
Browse regional vacancies and work experience opportunities on TARGETjobs
Browse vacancies and graduate jobs in the north west