Network administrator: job description
Typical requirements of the job include:
- consulting with clients to specify system requirements and design solutions
- budgeting for equipment and assembly costs
- assembling new systems
- maintaining existing software and hardware and upgrading any that have become obsolete
- working in tandem with IT support personnel
- providing network administration and support.
- Software developers
- The financial industry
- Construction firms
Since almost all industries are now heavily computer-dependent, network administrators are needed in most companies.
Network administrators will need to understand how to connect devices to form a fast and efficient network. It helps if you have experience of networks running on specific network operating systems. There are a number of valuable qualifications such as Microsoft certified system engineer (MCSE) status or Cisco certified internetwork expert (CCIE).
- Technical skills
- IT skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Teamworking skills
- Commitment to quality
- Attention to detail
Next: search graduate jobs
- View our Graduate IT and technology vacancies