We look at a typical route to the top of the consulting profession, from graduate starter to partner.
- Entry point for graduates.
- Responsible for part of the problem-solving activities.
- Carries out research and data collection.
- Conducts analysis.
- Spends majority of time at the client site.
- Entry point for MBAs.
- Identifies issues, forms hypotheses and helps implement change.
- Manages larger aspects of problem solving.
- Presents findings and formulates recommendations.
- Helps structure the work and manages analysts.
Senior associate/engagement manager/senior consultant
- Project manager on smaller projects.
- Responsible for overseeing an aspect of a large project.
- Assigns work to the team.
- Leads and manages those within the team.
- Project manages all phases of a project.
- Responsible for delivering a project on time.
- Nurtures talent within the team.
- Day-to-day adviser for clients.
- Sector expert.
- Strategic adviser to senior clients.
- Generates new business and develops client relationships.
- Oversees the growth and direction of the firm.