TARGETjobs black logo
Financing your MA or LLM in law

Financing your LLM or MA in law

Funding options for postgraduate legal study include grants, awards and bank loans. This handy overview explains where to go for more information.

There are no mandatory awards for postgraduate study in law. Fees for a full-time LLM or MA in law tend to be around £9,000–£12,000 for UK and EU students but are higher at certain institutions. Competition for financial awards is fierce and most people who receive funding assistance have at least a 2.1. Look out for early closing dates for financial awards.

University funding for postgraduate students

Most universities offer awards to students continuing their studies at the same institution, and some are available for graduates from other universities. Postgraduate teaching posts are a useful way to earn some money and fees can sometimes be offset against earnings.

Grants and professional funding

Several publications provide listings of grant-making trusts and funding bodies. Your careers service or library should have:

  • The Grants Register (Palgrave Macmillan)
  • The Guide to Educational Grants(Directory of Social Change)
  • Postgraduate Study and Research (AGCAS)
  • Charities Digest.

Research council awards

Awards from research councils are the main source of funding for research students. Get hold of a list of postgraduate courses that qualify to find out what assistance is available for masters courses.

Bank loans

Postgraduate students are not eligible for loans from the Student Loans Company. However, the government suggests some options for postgraduate loans via Student Finance England. These are available in the form of a masters loan and are best applied for and obtained before you begin study. They are not awarded according to your financial situation, but you will be charged interest on repayments and there are a number of eligibility criteria. Find out more by visiting the Gov UK website.

Government resources

You'll find information about funding, resources and housing or council tax benefits from the Department for Education and the Department for Work and Pensions.


Check out the TARGETpostgrad website for the UK's most up-to-date source of funding information. The National Postgraduate Committee also has useful information for prospective postgraduate students and a funding guide.

International students

The majority of awards for overseas students studying in the UK come from the British Council. Call +44 (0)161 957 7755. The Department for International Development’s website also contains a list of funding sources. Call 0845 300 4100 (from overseas +44 1355 843 132). Check for any awards available through your home country’s education department.

Supported by

This describes editorially independent and objective content, written and edited by the GTI content team, with which the organisation would like to be associated and has provided some funding in order to be so. Any external contributors featuring in the article are independent from the supporter organisation and contributions are in line with our non-advertorial policy.

Advertising feature by

This describes content that has been written and edited in close collaboration with the organisation, who has funded the feature; it is advertising. We are committed to upholding our ethical values of transparency and honesty when dealing with students and feel that this is the best way not to deceive consumers of our content. The content will be written by GTI editors, but the organisation will have had input into the messaging, provided knowledge and contributors and approved the content.

In Partnership

This content has been written or sourced by AGCAS, the Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services, and edited by TARGETjobs as part of a content partnership. AGCAS provides impartial information and guidance resources for higher education student career development and graduate employment professionals.