How will my consulting career progress?
We look at a typical route to the top of the consulting profession, from graduate starter to partner.
- Entry point for graduates.
- Responsible for part of the problem-solving activities.
- Carries out research and data collection.
- Conducts analysis.
- Spends majority of time at the client site.
- Entry point for MBAs.
- Identifies issues, forms hypotheses and helps implement change.
- Manages larger aspects of problem solving.
- Presents findings and formulates recommendations.
- Helps structure the work and manages analysts.
Senior associate/engagement manager/senior consultant
- Project manager on smaller projects.
- Responsible for overseeing an aspect of a large project.
- Assigns work to the team.
- Leads and manages those within the team.
- Project manages all phases of a project.
- Responsible for delivering a project on time.
- Nurtures talent within the team.
- Day-to-day adviser for clients.
- Sector expert.
- Strategic adviser to senior clients.
- Generates new business and develops client relationships.
- Oversees the growth and direction of the firm.
How to get a job with a 2.2 degree
A graduate programme that requires a 2.1 isn’t your only way into a career. While some big graduate employers will not accept a 2.2 degree for their graduate schemes and jobs, this is by no means true
Four covering letter blunders (and how to avoid them)
Graduate cover letters and application form answers take ages to craft well, so don't waste all that effort by including a clichéd statement that, however well-intentioned, might undo all your good wo
Internships and placements
‘What is an internship and how do I get one?’ Your FAQs answered
Ever wondered how to apply for an internship or even what an internship is? In this article, we answer frequently asked questions and point you in the direction of our other helpful internship advice,
I have a degree, now what?
Your undergraduate days have come to an end and the question of, ‘I have a degree, now what are my career options?’ is rattling around your brain. It may seem like only careers directly related to you
The top nine tricky interview questions and how to answer them
Here's an overview of tough interview questions you might come up against in graduate job interviews, along with tips on how to answer them that will help you manage your nerves.
Future jobs in demand: graduate career prospects for the coming years
What jobs will be in high demand in the future? See our three sets of predictions on the graduate jobs of the coming years.