What can I do with a design degree?
Design students are lively and full of ideas. They’re likely to watch movie credits with interest and a critical eye, own Apple products and laugh at people who use comic sans – and they also typically have a range of skills that are highly valued in the graduate jobs market.
The skills that design graduates are likely to have to offer include:
- logical thinking and problem-solving
- project management
- research and editorial skills
- presentation and other communication skills
- computer skills
- hands-on project management
- software skills
- an eye for detail.
Obvious career options for design graduates include web design, interactive media and video editing.
Other possibilities include:
- interior design
- film and television production
- fashion design
- editorial roles in printed media
- product and packaging design
- landscape gardening.
Plenty of design students have taken the subject in different directions. Consider these examples:
- Ai Weiwei
- Kissy Sell Out
- Gus Van Sant
- Tom Vek
- Seth MacFarlane