Graduate careers in Glasgow
Based on the River Clyde within commuting distance of Edinburgh, its traditional rival, Glasgow has plenty to offer art-lovers and theatre-goers, plus a year-round schedule of festivals and events. As the home of the art nouveau artist and architect Charles Rennie Mackintosh, it’s known for its fine buildings, and its many parks have earned it the nickname ‘the dear green place’.
Besides the opportunities on offer for graduates who want to work in financial services and accounting, Glasgow is also a hotspot for retail, and has a reputation for offering the UK’s best shopping outside London.
Creative types will be attracted to the city by the promise of work in its festivals, theatres, galleries and museums, and there are a number of local councils in the area for those wanting careers in the public sector.
Numerous law firms have offices in Glasgow, although law graduates who did not study in Scotland need to convert their qualifications to practise within the Scottish legal system.
The University of Glasgow, founded in 1451, is a member of the Russell Group of universities and is highly ranked for the quality of its teaching and research in a range of subjects.
Glasgow Caledonian University has a growing reputation as a provider of high quality research, consultancy and training services to regional and international businesses, and has recently collaborated with organisations such as Microsoft and CISCO Systems.
The University of Strathclyde, based in the heart of Glasgow, offers teacher training alongside courses such as speech and language pathology, community arts, social work, and sport and outdoor education.
- Lloyds Banking Group, Glasgow (Financial services)
- RBS, Glasgow (Financial services)
- ScottishPower, Glasgow (Engineering)
- Santander, Glasgow (Financial services)
- Marks & Spencer, Glasgow (Retail)
- BBC, Glasgow (Media and publishing)
- Dundas & Wilson, Glasgow (Law – solicitors)
- PricewaterhouseCoopers, Glasgow (Accountancy and financial management; Management consulting)
- Glasgow City Council, Glasgow (Public service and government)
- NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde, Glasgow (Healthcare operations and management)
(Note: these companies may not be currently recruiting. Their names have been provided as a guideline to the type of work available and areas to look in.)
It’s on the map for…
- Festivals, entertainment, live music, museums and galleries
- Thriving nightlife
- Well placed for exploring Loch Lomond and islands off Scotland’s west coast
It’s within commuting distance of…
- Paisley – 10 miles
- Kilmarnock – 21 miles
- Edinburgh – 52 miles
Browse vacancies and work experience opportunities on TARGETjobs
Browse vacancies and graduate jobs in Scotland