The residents started out as fish traders but nowadays they’re more likely to be connected to the armed forces or involved in hospitals and universities in the busy public sector.
Plymouth is just over the border from Cornwall too, and with thousands of tourists (‘grockles’ or ‘emmets’, depending on whether they’re heading to Devon or Cornwall) flocking west each year, graduates with people skills are kept busy in customer-facing roles in the leisure industry.
The University of Plymouth has been rated as excellent in 15 areas of research. These include geography, civil engineering and molecular biosciences. The university is also well known for its specialist research into clinical areas and health – incorporating, as it does, the Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry.
Plymouth is located close to the University of Exeter’s two campuses, where postgraduate courses on offer range from Cornish studies to English and drama.
- Plymouth City Council, Plymouth (Public sector)
- Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust, Plymouth (Public sector; Healthcare)
- University of Plymouth, Plymouth (Education)
- Foot Anstey Solicitors, Plymouth (Law)
- Twofour group, Plymouth (TV; Media; Journalism)
- Princess Yachts International, Plymouth (Manufacturing; Engineering)
- Sponge UK, Plymouth (Design; Media; IT; Education)
- Babcock Marine, Plymouth (Engineering; Design)
- Francis Clark, Throughout south west (Accounting and financial management)
- Midas Group, Exeter (Construction)
(Note: these employers may not be currently recruiting. Their names have been provided as a guideline to the type of work available and what areas to look in.)
It’s on the map for…
- Grade II listed art deco lido – Tinside Pool
- Close to the country’s best beaches
- The Barbican – the old harbour area that’s now a marina and shopping district
It’s within commuting distance of…
- Kingsbridge – 20 miles
- Exeter – 44 miles
- Newton Abbot – 32 miles
Browse regional vacancies and work experience opportunities on TARGETjobs
Browse vacancies and graduate jobs in the south west