Heritage managers look after historic properties and sites, keeping them and their contents in good condition so that visitors can enjoy them.
Other typical responsibilities include:
- managing budgets
- financial/project planning
- recruiting, training and supervising staff and volunteers
- liaising with council departments, funding agencies, community organisations, voluntary and local history groups, tourist bodies and private companies
- generating income via fundraising activities, membership, grants and retail activities
- ensuring artefacts are cared for
- managing restoration projects
- developing heritage attractions to enhance and increase visitor access
- undertaking customer surveys and assessing the results.
- The National Trust
- English Heritage
- Historical Environments Scotland
- Independently owned historic houses and spaces
Jobs are advertised on general job sites, industry-related sites such as the Museums Association and conservation charities' sites. These organisations also share job opportunities on social media. Casual and non-specialist jobs may also be advertised in community news sources, such as newsletters and local charities' newsletters.
Most applicants will have a degree, often in a subject such as heritage, archive or museum studies, archaeology, history, art conservation, history of art, fine art, visual art, marketing or business studies. A postgraduate qualification in heritage/museum management is beneficial and may be a requirement for some positions.
Prior relevant voluntary and/or paid work experience is essential. Look for short-term volunteering opportunities and a small number of placements with organisations such as The National Trust, English Heritage and the Churches Conservation Trust.
Employers seek candidates displaying a genuine enthusiasm for, interest in and understanding of heritage work. Other essential qualities and skills include:
- the ability to work in a team
- good communication skills and the ability to explain complex concepts to visitors
- commercial awareness
- planning and project management experience.