In corporate finance, investment bankers raise money and capital to develop businesses.
Corporate financiers are responsible for identifying and securing privatisation, merger and acquisition deals; managing and investing large monetary funds; and buying and selling financial products for their clients.
Typical duties of a corporate financier include:
- working closely with clients at senior levels
- advising about how to meet targets and create investment capital
- generating finance from shares and loans
- gathering, analysing and interpreting complicated numerical information
- assessing and predicting financial risks and returns
- using financial modelling to predict outcomes
- negotiating and structuring financial details
- running transactions
- providing investment advice, tactics and recommendations
- preparing legal documents and prospectuses
- liaising with accountants, lawyers, financial experts and regulatory bodies.
Investment banking provides high levels of responsibility, good promotional opportunities and impressive financial rewards for the most successful employees. However, working hours are usually very long.
- Global investment, corporate, retail and commercial banks
- Corporate finance sections of accountancy firms
- Private equity fund institutions
Vacancies are advertised by careers services, online, in newspapers including The Financial Times and in publications such as Business Week, Investors Chronicle, The Economist and The Banker. Sector and company research is essential. There are several graduate schemes available with investment banks. Applications should be made as early in the academic year as possible.
While a 2.1 in any subject is acceptable, a business studies, management, finance, mathematics or economics qualification can be helpful. So too can an MBA or similar professional qualification. Relevant work experience is particularly beneficial and interns are often hired for full-time graduate roles.
- IT skills
- Analytical skills
- Teamworking skills
- Numerical skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Communication skills.