The Guardian UK 300: top accounting and financial management employers
…as voted for by students and graduates
The Guardian UK 300 features the largest and most comprehensive annual survey of student opinion on graduate careers, employers and their own job hunts. The survey determines not only the most popular 300 graduate employers in the UK overall, but also the most popular graduate employers in a range of career sectors, including accountancy and financial management.
The top graduate employers for accounting are listed in the table below. The top four employers remain the Big 4 professional services firms, ranking in exactly the same positions as they did in the previous year, but BDO and Grant Thornton rose in the ranks while the National Audit Office fell.
Students interested in accounting…
- were most likely to be studying business/management or economics – perhaps more surprisingly, though, politics students were more interested in the sector than those studying maths/statistics
- were likely to want international opportunities from their graduate employer: 35% (10% more than average) preferred to work for a large international employer and 71% said international opportunities were ‘very important’ or ‘important’ when choosing an employer (3% more than average)
- were slightly more likely than average to have work experience: 36% of final-year students had completed an internship of at least two months’ duration (compared to an average of 33%).*
*Statistics have been rounded.
Over 73,500 undergraduates took part in the trendence Graduate Survey, which formed the basis of the results in The Guardian UK 300.
Last year: 1
Accountancy and financial management, Law solicitors, Management consulting, Public service, charity and social work
Last year: 2
Accountancy and financial management, Management consulting
Last year: 3
Accountancy and financial management, IT and technology, Management consulting
Last year: 4
Accountancy and financial management, IT and technology
Last year: 6
Accountancy and financial management
Last year: 7
Accountancy and financial management, Financial services and insurance, Management and business
Last year: 5
Accountancy and financial management, Public service, charity and social work
Last year: 8
Accountancy and financial management, Financial services and insurance
View related sector lists: Top investment banking and investment graduate employers and Top banking, insurance and financial services graduate employers
More help from TARGETjobs
- TARGETjobs Finance homepage
- Specialist advice on graduate careers in accountancy and financial management
- Get the Inside Buzz on graduate recruiters: graduate and intern employer reviews